Thread: Another Rare Bird: Dovekie

Axel Hildebrandt

Default Another Rare Bird: Dovekie

It's been only the second time in 4 years that I have seen a Dovekie at a very short distance. I made this at Long Island yesterday where several have been sighted, most of them in bad shape. This little guy was actively feeding and I hope he is going to make it. The light angle was not ideal but I thought I would share it anyway.

1D4, 500f4, 1.4x, 1/1000s, f/8, ISO 400

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Is that the same bird as your avatar? Like the low angle, the fine ripples in the water, sharpness and exposure. Pano crop works well.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh, good for you. These birds when sighted usually are very close to the shore.
    I've seen ONE so far. The image IMO is excellent with great detail and perfect eye-contact.
    Up close it is a really cute bird. TFS

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
    Is that the same bird as your avatar? Like the low angle, the fine ripples in the water, sharpness and exposure. Pano crop works well.
    Thanks, Doug! Yes, it is the same species. The one in my avatar is a Dovekie that I photographed on Cape Cod in 2006.

Deborah Hanson

I like that the photograph gives the impression that there is an interaction between the viewer and the bird. If I explained that correctly, can't tell if it's the bird's expression (it seems to have one) or eye contact. Nice, just the same.
    Also, I like the water ripples and reflection in front of the bird. The whites have really nice detail.

Question: would the crop work if the bird was a little lower or a little higher - just off center? I usually have difficulty placing birds in the water.

Deb

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah Hanson View Post
    I like that the photograph gives the impression that there is an interaction between the viewer and the bird. If I explained that correctly, can't tell if it's the bird's expression (it seems to have one) or eye contact. Nice, just the same.
    Also, I like the water ripples and reflection in front of the bird. The whites have really nice detail.

Question: would the crop work if the bird was a little lower or a little higher - just off center? I usually have difficulty placing birds in the water.

Deb
    Thanks, Deb! I think it would also work if the bird were a tad lower in the frame. I cropped it this way to give the bird room to swim into.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Perfect DOF, exposure and sharpness Axel and I really enjoy the low angle.

I might lighten the dark area just in front of the eye just a bit?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Axel you have really been lucky getting your opportunities with this species. The water is nice and clean and blue to show it off. Congrats!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amazing. Never seen one. Where were they and what was the situation? Obviously, you did quite well. If I ever seen one of these it will likely be in Norway.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Amazing. Never seen one. Where were they and what was the situation? Obviously, you did quite well. If I ever seen one of these it will likely be in Norway.
    Thanks, Artie! It was in Great River in a little marina and is not skittish at all.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice Alex our local paper had an article on the today.. I think they said they have had to rescue 8 on LI (not including this guy) and 6 have passed

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Hildebrandt View Post
    Thanks, Artie! It was in Great River in a little marina and is not skittish at all.
    Totally amazing. I am thinking that an there will be an Emperor Goose or two in your viewfinder soon!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

An image that really captures the cute character of the species. You caught the fur-like texture of the plumage nicely. It may be my monitor, but it looks like you rescued the whites a little too much; this is typically a very black and white bird.

We get Little Auks (as we call them) here in late autumn/winter when the conditions farther north are difficult for them. Many of the harbourside individual meet a swift end. There terrific (albeit horrific) images on the Birdguides website birds being swallowed whole by Greater Black-backed Gulls (http://www.birdguides.com/bne/details.asp?t=363431).