Thread: Common Redpoll

Patrice Allibert

Default Common Redpoll

Attached Images Attached Images

Natural perch in a forest near Québec. No crop!

Nikon D 300
    200-400 with TC 1,4 at 550mm
    1/2000 @ ISO 400, f5,6

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good for you to get so nice and close and to show the bird off so nicely. I may still be tempted to crop a bit off left side and bottom of photo to take bird out of centre. Well done. Dave

Bryan Hix

I am hoping this species is in Wisconsin this weekend when I go there. I like the pose and agree with Dave that you might want to crop so it is a little more left. Also I would try sharpening a bit more for the web. Good catchlight in the eye and the crown is showing the irridescence nicely.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the bird, perch, and BG. I would sharpen more. Have you considered a vertical crop? Also there appears to be a magenta cast.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

First, focus and point the camera to the right so that the perch comes in from the urc. The sharpen the bird and color balance and you would have a winner.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Patrice Allibert

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you'all for your comments.

I have included in this new post more sharpen, different balance and crop the left side to locate the perch in the left angle. It seems there is a good improvement!

Patrice

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Patrice, This is better, but better still would be to follow my advise in Pane #5 the next time you are in the field; the results would be better still :) :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.