Thread: Tern silhouette

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tern silhouette

Taking inspiration from some gorgeous silhouettes posted in the last few days.....

I shot this from a ferry in Galveston, TX. The sunset was not all that great but there was one patch amongst the clouds that was very nice. With many gulls and terns flying around the ferry, I was hoping one would fly in front of that patch. I had my camera ready and eyeing the birds as they flew around. This dude obliged. cropped from horizontal.

40D. 400f5.6 at f/6.3. iso 640. 1/2000. I dont have the exact number right now...but WB was color temp in the 5500-6000K range. I dont know what to do about the chromatic aberration around the bird.

All C&C welcome.

Axel Hildebrandt

Very nice mood, composition and silhouette. Have you tried to reduce/remove the CA in your RAW converter? I don't think it is distracting, though.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kaustubh, I like the silhouette, and of course the two tone BG colours. Comp wise, Moving him even higher in the frame will work.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Axel, I tried doing that but it didnt do a whole lot. I probably did not do something right. will give it another shot.

Stuart, thx. Now that you mention, I think the bird can be a little higher in the frame.

Alfred Forns

Agree with comments and this would be an excellent image for a magazine with some text added !!! I like it a lot !!

Fabs Forns

Beautiful. What you have around the bird is created from the back light. If you ease on the black it will be less prominent. Good work!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image. A really nice job on the colours and for me a very slight crop off top would be nice. Well done. Dave

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Indeed a lovely image.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Simple and elegant image KD. I love the tones in color and the pose of the tern. Well done! :)