Thread: George

Hybrid View

Fabs Forns

Default George

Attached Images Attached Images

George is how this GBH is know at Wako, where he's been breeding for two years with this little problem.

Got to love the 5D2. This is a crop from a horizontal full nest capture with space to spare on both sides. Still had to re-size George for posting size :)
    And I'm not having any problems focusing (reputation is of a slow focus), in fact, I get more flight keepers than with the 7D.

Fabs Forns

Found a frontal view

Ákos Lumnitzer

Wow, what a ripper. Poor George. Glad he is able to move on with life and rear his young. :) Thanks Fabs.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just saw him from the side Fabs, I am surprised that he hasn't gotten an infection or something. I am amazed that he can live a normal life.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Fabs, I was at Wako for an evening and a morning a couple of weeks ago and one of the locals pointed out George, and told me that he swallowed a "razor fish" or something, which slit his throat like this. This seems very unlikely to me as I doubt that a bird would survive with a large incision in its esophogus like this. More likely (in my mind), a great horned owl or other predator got hold of his throat and tore out tendon and/or muscle which attaches to the lower mandible.

Another thought is that the protrusion almost looks to have a joint in it, and could be the birds hyoid bone, again, likely ripped out by a predator.

By the look of it, he barely survived. Regardless, quite hard to look at, esp in your frontal image. Long may George live!
    Last edited by Milo Burcham; 01-28-2010 at 08:45 PM.

Fabs Forns

Thanks, Milo, I also thought this was a part of him.
    He seems to be doing great though, as he was able to breed last year and this one. And the female ADORES him.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here is a photo I took of George on March 24 2009 as he flew past me that morning at Green Cay Wetlands !!
    Taken in early AM light...looks over saturated but this is really how the file looks!

Michael
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 01-29-2010 at 07:34 PM.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Here is a photo I took of George on March 24 2009 as he flew past me that morning at Green Cay Wetlands !!
    Taken in early AM light...looks over saturated but this is really how the file looks!

Michael
    Hey, that's my birthday! you owe me now. I brought you luck! :D

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

maybe he is part turkey?

very strange you wouldn't think he could survive like that but good to see that he is