Thread: Ipswich Savannah Sparrow

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ipswich Savannah Sparrow

Under overcast skies, I made this image of a Savannah Sparrow (Ipswich subspecies) on Sandy Hook in New Jersey. Another attempt at an environmental shot, as this bird traversed one of the rock piles near Chokecherry Beach.

Canon EOS 7D
    Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 L IS

1/640
    f/6.3
    400 mm
    ISO 400
    +1 EV

Ákos Lumnitzer

I like the show of habitat. good exposure, the only thing I'd fix is the OOF branch on the RHS. :) well done

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great to see this subspecies here. I'd crop bit tighter, especially at the bottom
    and place the bird more off center. I like the dominant overall color with the yellow
    eye-brow standing out a bit. Very nice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I used to chase this species without success with my EF 400 mm f/4.5 Canon manual focus lens and film when I lived in NY. Never got close. I like the bird and the habitat. I eliminated the o-o-f stick and tightened the image up with somewhat of a pano crop. I think that it is a lot stronger.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ákos - Thank you!

Ilija - Thanks! After seeing Artie's repost, I completely agree with you both on the tighter crop. As for the subspecies, it's definitely my favorite Sparrow, such a striking plumage. I actually live most of the year in your neck of the woods, and I've had this subspecies throughout Cape Cod, and on Salisbury Beach.

Artie - Thanks! Your repost is definitely a lot stronger, and I will work on the original file. Have you had success with this species since?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie's crop made this a lot stronger. We saw a few of these guys at Barnegat very late in the day hoping on the Jetty.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Schain View Post
    Artie - Thanks! Your repost is definitely a lot stronger, and I will work on the original file. Have you had success with this species since?
    YAW. I saw the bird briefly at close range on Long Island last winter but never got it in the viewfinder. Alas....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image and the repost by Arthur looks more better. I might also consider removing the oof bottom part of photo as well. I like the environmental aspect of shot. Dave