Thread: Barnegat Dunlin

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Barnegat Dunlin

Attached Images Attached Images

D90; 80-400 VR @ 400mm. ISO 800. f/8 @ 1/400s. Matrix metering @ +0.3 EV. HH.

Barnegat jetty about a month ago. Cropped maybe 30%. C&C welcome and appreciated.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely done and very sharp. I love the spotlit head. I believe that the rufous-fringed tertials (???) indicate that this is a first winter bird. My only wish is that the head was perfectly square to the back of the camera. That is usually best even for slightly over the shoulder poses.

A bit of bill clean-up would work if you are OK with that.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the illumination of the head. The eye looks sharp, but the plumage looks a little coarse. Nice ocean BG.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Nicely done and very sharp. I love the spotlit head. I believe that the rufous-fringed tertials (???) indicate that this is a first winter bird. My only wish is that the head was perfectly square to the back of the camera. That is usually best even for slightly over the shoulder poses.

A bit of bill clean-up would work if you are OK with that.
    Thank you Artie. I wondered about the coloration of the tertials (?) (and/or subscapular?) -- it seemed it might be the last vestiges of juvenile plumage going into his first winter. Yes, I should have cleaned up the bill before posting -- I'll do that to the master file. I took a number of shots of this fellow, including one I like that is pure profile and square to the sensor plane, but it didn't show the back plumage as well. I appreciate the comments.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
    I like the illumination of the head. The eye looks sharp, but the plumage looks a little coarse. Nice ocean BG.
    Thanks Doug. Could you explain what you mean by coarse plumage? Over or under sharpened? Lack of critical focus? Or what? Thanks for looking.

Gal Shon

lovely, I like the BG, the light on the head and Comp.
    On my monitor there's a halo around the bird and oversharping on the eye.

Axel Hildebrandt

I like the angle, light, BG and eye contact. I don't mind the head angle as is. The head looks a bit oversharpened on my monitor and the back lacks some detail, did you run NR on it?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gal and Axel. I don't see the halo on my screen, but there could be a bit of oversharpening of the eye. Axel, this was processed last month and I don't remember exactly what I did to it beyond my normal workflow. I never run Denoise on the bird, but occasionally I run a light pass of Topaz DeJpeg which can (but doesn't always) remove jpeg artifacts without affecting detail. I may have done that here - perhaps that caused some softening? When I get time I'll go back and process another of the frames in the series and see if I keep more detail. Thanks for the comments.

[Gal - on second look, I do see a bit of a halo around the bill of the posted version, but not on in my original jpeg file.]
    Last edited by Bill Dix; 01-24-2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: revise text

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really love this as posted. the head and body angle are sweet and that background is awesome...