Thread: Grey Phalarope

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grey Phalarope

Hi

Before Christmas a Grey Phalarope was reported on a local pond. I have not seen one before as the last one appeared locally about 4 years ago. I thought I would go and investigate, mainly because I am hoping to photograph some of the reck necked variety in a trip I have planned for June to Arctic Norway and so thought it would be good practice. This bird was completely oblivious to human presence but very hyperactive and passed within 2ft of me on occasions. A wonderful little bird and all very encouraging for my forthcoming trip to Varanger. The bird was in winter colours but still had some slight hints of its red breeding plumage which must be spectacular.

Taken with 1Dmk3 and 500mm lens at ISO 200 F6.3 -0.3EV at 1/1250s.

Cheers

Rich

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rich:

Your bird is sharp, well exposed, attractive. Like the water drops on front.
    I might consider removing the second catchlight, although if no flash was used, it could just be reflection off the water.

Good luck on your trip.

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt

I like the sharpness, light and droplet and don't know if a lower angle would have been possible.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely done Rich. I am not so sure that this is an adult... It might be a first winter (though that is pretty much just a gut feeling). The orange tones on the neck might be the remnants of the buff colors on the breasts of many young shorebirds. If anyone know for sure, please pitch in. Good luck on your trip.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work Richard. Good pose colour and eye glint.

I am certainly no expert here, but on checking out the Collins Guide and the excellent Macmillan Field Guide to Bird Identification (Harris, Tucker and Vinicombe) I would have to agree that his is a 1st winter bird.

Enjoy your trip.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments. Axel this was as low as I could get. I got some water level photos under cloudy skies but as soon as the sun came out the bird went up to the other end of the lake where the banks were higher. Artie and Adrian I think you are both right that this is a first winter bird. I would still love to see an adult in full breeding colours as they look stunning.

cheers

Rich