Thread: Raven on elk carcass

Don Riley

Default Raven on elk carcass

This was taken at the National Elk Refuge in Jackson. Not sure how the elk died but this raven was the only one on it. Cropped , sharpened, and adjustments with the levels and exposure in PS.

EOS 40D
    600mm
    1/60
    f/8
    ISO 100
    Handheld with window support

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I like the idea but there is way too much empty space/snow at the top. Could have placed the elk a bit higher in the frame. I did a pano crop and a huge SH/H Adj on the bird only but though it introduced noise, I think it looks much better than the SILH-like image that you posted.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Don - This is a very evocative image. IMHO it would be even stronger if you cropped quite a bit off the top to focus on raven and elk. Nicely done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A second look reveals that I could have taken a bit more off the top and removed the blue cast from the snow.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have to agree with Artie about the composition, a bit less room at the top and a bit more additional room at the bottom. I like a lot the overall scene, the open beak of the raven and the perch. I think that the image is a bit underexposed because the snow looks dark. The bird plumage is another good reason to miss a higher ISO.

Axel Hildebrandt

That is a very unusual 'perch'. I agree regarding removing the blue cast and cropping some off the top. Do you have more room left and bottom? If so, I would put the carcass higher in the frame.

Don Riley

Thanks Arthur, I like the repost and SH/H adjustment on the bird.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are most welcome Don. Would love to see more of your Yellowstone images.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great scene and a really unusual perch. I agree with the other's comments. Artie's repost is great.
    Keep the Yellowstone images coming. I miss the place!

Markus