Thread: osprey in california

Phil Seu

Default osprey in california

Hi, I'm looking for good photo ops for Osprey in california. I am in SF bay area but willing to travel. any info appreciated.

thanks

Phil

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One location that has worked for me is Lake Cleone in Mckerricker State Park near Ft. Bragg. Hopefully you can find a closer location.

Good luck and God bless,

chris

pfginsr

Hi Phil

In Sonoma County in Spring (around April) you can sometimes spot Osprey at the mouth of the Russian River at Jenner.

If you drive north of Jenner on Highway 1 their is viewing spot that looks down onto the mouth of the river.

The osprey will fly above the river looking for fish and if you are lucky they will sometimes fly by that parking spot just about at eye level. Mornings are better for lighting, afternoons the soon will be directly in your view and on the other sides of the Osprey.

Like fishing, it can be hit and miss.

Heath Vanderpool

Also lake Melones off of hwy 49 ( park at the visitors center) , there are many man made nesting platforms there, Ive seen as many as 4-5 osprey at a time. Also depends on time of year as well.

Heath
    Last edited by Heath Vanderpool; 01-26-2010 at 09:15 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Phil

Hellyer park in San Jose off of Hwy 101; I have seen couple of them there all the time...

-- V

Sivaprasad

Oka ponds near Los Gatos has few ospreys this season. The below image was taken there last month..

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Phil. If you get down to the Solvang/Santa Barbara area there are great Osprey opportunities at Cachuma Lake. They live there along the lake and there are easily accesible areas where they catch fish all day long.
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

Phil Seu

thank you everyone for all the replies. I will check out many of these places.

Phil