Thread: Loss of Dave Phillips/Tributes & Memories

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Loss of Dave Phillips/Tributes & Memories

Attached Images Attached Images

Dave Phillips under went quadruple bypass surgery. He had some complications and I just received word from Dave's best friend and it doesn't look good for Dave. He is in a fight for his life right now. My heart goes out to him and his family and friends. I will continue to copy and paste the e-mails I receive listing his condition.

Jan 26th It is with great sadness that I pass this news on.

Denise,
    Dave passed away today at 2:15
    I saw him this morning at 10 and he was doing ok.
    I am sorry to be the one with bad news but I wanted you to know.
    I just got the word from his sister. Can you let them know at Miranda, I am not on my computer.

Billy

**I just received this image of Dave Phiilips. His best friend Billy took it last year. Billy has been kind to keep us all updated on Dave. It's nice to put a face with a name. Thank you Billy.

Jan 25th update

Denise,
    Dave is still with us, I visited him at 10am this morning. He seemed to be breathing a little harder than yesterday and his blood pressure was a little lower at times (96/43). It was hard to see my friend this morning in this condition but I know God is with him and will take care of him. His friends at Fred Miranda posted this link and I thought you might like to read it. http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAbou...ips/index_html

I will keep you informed.

Billy

Jan 24th update
    Denise,
    They took Dave off the machines this morning at 10:30, he is breathing on his own for now. I will let you know if I hear anything.

Jan. 23rd update- Bad news.
    Denise,
    I talked with Dave's sister this morning, the doctors told her and his mother that there is nothing else they can do for Dave and Dave will probably not make it thru this weekend. I do not like to be the bearer of bad news especially when it concerns such a good friend. I will keep you posted.

Billy

Jan.22nd update-We need a miracle

Denise,
    Dave's condition had not changed any today, The cardiologist explained the order of events and we need a miracle for Dave. I've already mentioned the brain activity so I think the only thing we can do is pray. Please pray for Dave's family.

Billy

Here is an message from Steve Canuel
    Hi Denise,

I posted a link from here concerning Dave's condition in Fred Miranda's N & W forum. He used to be very active over there before BPN and is still very well liked. If/when he recovers, he has two threads of many people wishing him the best that you can pass on if you like. Just thought you want to know.

Steve

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/858889

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/859002

Anyone who would like to visit Dave Phillip's web site and leave a get well message here is the link.

http://critterscapes.zenfolio.com/

Jan 21stupdate-I can only hope he will recover.

Denise, There's no change in Dave's condition, I visited with him today. I will keep you informed.

Jan. 20th update.This message was sent to me by his friend. I am so sorry to have to bring such bad news to everyone.

Denise,
    I saw Dave at 10am, I found out that they did do an eeg and the results were not good. The doctors said they do not think he will wake up. I will let you know if anything changes but keep praying for Dave and his family.

Billy

Jan. 19th update-This message was sent to me by his best friend Billy Moore;
    Dave is holding his own, he has had a few bad days but his condition is about the same except, today he had some eye movement. The can't do the eeg until he is 48 hours without heart medecine so we are waiting for that. They were going to do it yesterday (eeg) but could not. Continue to pray for him.
    Last edited by denise ippolito; 01-26-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for keeping us posted on Dave's condition Denise.

Julie Kenward

Eye movement? That's a good sign I believe. I'll continue to pray, Denise...thanks for letting us know how he's doing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

I will continue to cut and paste Billy's updates on Dave. We can only hope this is a good sign.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the update, Denise. I'll keep praying for Dave.
    God Bless
    Christopher, Old Photo Master and Master Texturizer

Old Memories Photography

Ákos Lumnitzer

Dave's an inspiration with his work. My heart's with him and his family. Be strong Dave! We're on your side in this battle! :)

Axel Hildebrandt

I'm very sad to hear about Dave's situation and hope things will turn for the better.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Denise, thank you for keeping us updated. I am so sad but am still hoping for the best. I have Dave and his
    family in my thoughts and prayers.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Denise. This is hard news to take... I have really appreciated Dave's work and presence on this forum. :(
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

Fabs Forns

Still praying for him, let's not give up hope!

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

I would like to encourage everyone in the BPN community to follow the link Denise provided and offer your best wishes for Dave's recovery.

Gus Cobos

Thank you for letting us know and keeping us posted on Dave's condition Lady Denise. Dave is strong, and a fighter. God will bless him with his loving grace. He is in my prayers.

Kurtis Diffenbaugh

Denise thank you for the information. Though I'm pretty new to this forum I have had a chance to talk to Dave on other forums and I have to say he is really a great person.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

thanks, denise. dave is definitely in our thoughts. never thought i'd be affected so much by someone i never met in person.

Gene Oleynik

I am one of the many wildlife photographers over at FM that are praying for Dave. I have never met him but have chatted some online and he is a terrific guy. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Gene

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Get Well..Love those Cooterville images...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am very sad to read the news about Dave´s condition. He is on in my thoughts, please keep us informed about him

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wishing Dave all the very best of luck and hoping for his speedy and full recovery.

Cheers

Rich

Forum Participant Michael Zajac's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dave, You are really talented and missed by many. Hope all works out for you.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Please note that Dave's condition has not improved. He has been taken off the machines and is now breathing on his own. The Dr's are not hopeful. Dave needs our strength now more than ever. He is such an amazing talent and a great presence here on BPN.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

My thoughts and prayers for Dave.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Dave passed away this morning. I am very sad to pass on this news. He will be remembered for his kindness and generosity with his knowledge. He is a dear friend and I am so heart broken to have to let you all know. I know he will be missed by so many.

Gus Cobos

I'm sorry to hear this Lady Denise. May God bless him and keep him in his ever loving grace...Dave is resting in a better place.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Gus, Thank you. Dave was such a great force on BPN and most especially OOTB. His memory will not be forgotten. He touched my life and I am forever grateful.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Dave touched a lot of us with his kindness, talents and support. He was a great man and we will always remember his generosity and good heart. A terrible day for us at BPN. :(

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am very sad today, but also happy that I had a chance to know Dave, even if only in cyberspace. Beyond the posts on the forum, we had conversations via private messages and I felt a real connection to him. He will be missed by many, that's certain. My condolences go out to his family and friends. I trust that BPN will long remember him and recognize his special contributions. :(:):(
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such a sad news Denise:(:( , he helped me lot in wildlife images and OOTB , Terrible loss for BPN community and I think it will take decades to find replacement for Dave.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I knew Dave only from BPN but was struck by his knowledge of Photoshop, his skill as a photographer, his willingness to help others, his down-home humor, and his frankness.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

billymoore

Dave was my best friend and I will miss him, whenever I am at cooterville or his other park Bickum, I will be thinking of how much he loved Nature and helping others with their photography. I know he loved this forum and sent me here a bunch to look at some photograph he especially liked. It's nice to see how many lives he touched and his photographs and memory lives on. I'm a better person for having Dave as a friend.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billymoore View Post
    Dave was my best friend and I will miss him, whenever I am at cooterville or his other park Bickum, I will be thinking of how much he loved Nature and helping others with their photography. I know he loved this forum and sent me here a bunch to look at some photograph he especially liked. It's nice to see how many lives he touched and his photographs and memory lives on. I'm a better person for having Dave as a friend.
    Hi Billy, I am sorry for your and our loss. Do you know if he gave the nickname "Cooterville" to his favorite spot or if someone else did or if it is actually the name of a place. Lastly, please let me know the date of his death. I will be running something that Denise wrote in a Bulletin very soon.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

billymoore

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Hi Billy, I am sorry for your and our loss. Do you know if he gave the nickname "Cooterville" to his favorite spot or if someone else did or if it is actually the name of a place. Lastly, please let me know the date of his death. I will be running something that Denise wrote in a Bulletin very soon.
    Dave passed away Tuesday January 26, 2010 at 2:15 pm
    Cooterville is a real place, Dave told me there was a sign there when he first found the place but someone must have stolen it because there is no sign there now. He has been going there for years before I met him and he showed it to me. Green Herons love the green soup like water there and they have come closer than focusing distance to me while watching them. Dave showed me a lot of places to go to get good pictures and was always willing to share with anyone his knowledge. Looking forward to the bulletin. Dave loved this forum.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the info Dave. This Forum loved Dave.

Here is a peek at the piece that Denise Ippolito wrote for tomorrow's Bulletin:

BPN--and all of nature photography lost Dave Phillips on January 26, 2010. Dave was a very creative and talented BPN member who was always willing to share his knowledge of both photography and Photoshop with others. Dave's contributions to the Avian and the Out-of-the-Box Forums (OOTB) have been immeasurable.

He spent lots of time in OOTB teaching others about new programs, color toning, filters, and plug-ins and commenting on composition and image design as well. As a full time printer Dave had a well-trained eye and thus was quickly able to identify the problems in an image and then offer suggestions for improvement.

Dave lived in the northwestern corner of Louisiana near a bend in the Red River where he photographed herons, egrets, and a variety of bayou creatures in his own little bit of heaven nicknamed "Cootersville." You can see a collection of Dave's images at http://critterscapes.zenfolio.com/; his creative energy will be visible on every page.

Dave Phillips always gave an honest critique; he did not believe in sugar-coating anything. His sole purpose was to help other photographers. His well-trained eye, photographic expertise, and vast intellect made Dave Phillips a true asset at BPN and to nature and wildlife photographers everywhere. And it was Dave's low-key Southern manner that earned him a special place in my heart and in the heart's of many others. He will be a hard one to forget.

Note: Dave posted the poem below in BPN's Framing Your Images With Words Forum on June 30, 2009. In retropspect, it turned out to be quite prophetic....

Over The Hill

Here I am alone going over the hill
    The wind is calm and the waters still

I've worked really hard and given my all
    But I feel a peace as I heed the call

The light is getting brighter and my heart almost still
    As I go a little bit farther over the hill

You can see the image and read the comments here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ad.php?t=39950

Fabs Forns

This is VERY spooky!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is amazing, but I am not surprised. I very much appreciated his critiques and helpful responses to my posts. His own work was outstanding, both as a photographer and an artist. I am very saddened by his passing.

billymoore

Thanks for the info Dave. This Forum loved Dave.

Here is a peek at the piece that Denise Ippolito wrote for tomorrow's Bulletin:

BPN--and all of nature photography lost Dave Phillips on January 26, 2010. Dave was a very creative and talented BPN member who was always willing to share his knowledge of both photography and Photoshop with others. Dave's contributions to the Avian and the Out-of-the-Box Forums (OOTB) have been immeasurable.

He spent lots of time in OOTB teaching others about new programs, color toning, filters, and plug-ins and commenting on composition and image design as well. As a full time printer Dave had a well-trained eye and thus was quickly able to identify the problems in an image and then offer suggestions for improvement.

Dave lived in the northwestern corner of Louisiana near a bend in the Red River where he photographed herons, egrets, and a variety of bayou creatures in his own little bit of heaven nicknamed "Cootersville." You can see a collection of Dave's images at http://critterscapes.zenfolio.com/; his creative energy will be visible on every page.

Dave Phillips always gave an honest critique; he did not believe in sugar-coating anything. His sole purpose was to help other photographers. His well-trained eye, photographic expertise, and vast intellect made Dave Phillips a true asset at BPN and to nature and wildlife photographers everywhere. And it was Dave's low-key Southern manner that earned him a special place in my heart and in the heart's of many others. He will be a hard one to forget.

Note: Dave posted the poem below in BPN's Framing Your Images With Words Forum on June 30, 2009. In retropspect, it turned out to be quite prophetic....

Over The Hill

Here I am alone going over the hill
    The wind is calm and the waters still

I've worked really hard and given my all
    But I feel a peace as I heed the call

The light is getting brighter and my heart almost still
    As I go a little bit farther over the hill

You can see the image and read the comments here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ad.php?t=39950

Dave would like this very much, Thanks Artie & Denise.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are most welcome Billy. Hey, I was tooling around Dave's site and realized this: it would be amazing if anyone could take a quick peek at Dave's "Flipped Out" folio and not wind up laughing out loud and smiling: http://critterscapes.zenfolio.com/p89658114

billymoore

You are most welcome Billy. Hey, I was tooling around Dave's site and realized this: it would be amazing if anyone could take a quick peek at Dave's "Flipped Out" folio and not wind up laughing out loud and smiling: http://critterscapes.zenfolio.com/p89658114

Artie,
    Dave really had a sense of Humor. I go to the eye doctor twice a year for glaucoma tests and they take a picture of my eye with their computer. After one of these tests, I decided to take some pictures of my eye and I sent one to Dave. He emailed me back and said how did I like what he did with my eye? LOL Dave is still with us in sprit.

http://critterscapes.zenfolio.com/p8...acf4#h27c2acf4

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Billy, I remember seeing your eye! Thanks for the link-it was nice to see it again. Dave was the master of flips!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Denise I have been out from BPN during all the week and it is really sad for me to read this bad new in this saturday morning. I did not meet Dave in person but I read a lot of his comments and critics and enjoyed his images and amazing support that he gave to a lot of people here in BPN. We will miss him a lot. My deepest condolences goes to his friend and familiy.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dave helped me get back into Photography a few years back. His passing will leave a big gap here. Always the best of friends - for he told you in his gentle way the truth! Miss you Dave!! Bob Malbon

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Aragonés View Post
    Denise I have been out from BPN during all the week and it is really sad for me to read this bad new in this saturday morning. I did not meet Dave in person but I read a lot of his comments and critics and enjoyed his images and amazing support that he gave to a lot of people here in BPN. We will miss him a lot. My deepest condolences goes to his friend and familiy.

Juan, The news hit us all very hard too. He will be missed by many.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Thanks Denise for everything and my heart goes out to all his family. He will be sorely missed by all. Sometimes words just seen so inadequate.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

this is a big loss. Dave's presence was felt on BPN in many aspects. condolences to the family and we pray that comfort and loving memories cloud the sadness of this event.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I've just gotten back....sad news...I will miss Dave's humor and images in OOTB, my deepest condolences to his family...Paul

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terrible news. Been out a bit and am deeply saddened to hear of this. Blessings and condolences to his family, friends and loved ones in this very dark time. Dave

DanWalters

My prayers got out to his friends and family.

titus.ebbecke

Is this the ef 400mm f 5.6?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by titus.ebbecke View Post
    Is this the ef 400mm f 5.6?
    Yes, the lens in the image is the 400 f/56.L lens.