Thread: It seemed so simple at first

Jim Miller

Default It seemed so simple at first

(Looks like I posted this to the wrong forum; moved from DSLR Video Discussion.)

What a concept--just push the record button instead of the shutter release! Two months later, after a steep learning curve, I finally have a few short clips that are acceptable. Here is one that captures a pose that has worked for me in still photos, a wing stretch and preening. The video seems so much richer in presenting the behavior, and the bird as a living thing, but it is harder to manage the composition and the beautiful detail of a large still image. For now at least, I am captivated and can't wait till the next outing.

For best results allow time to load, select HD and full screen. YouTube and Vimeo both reduce the size of the original 1920x1080 to 1280x720, and the large files take a while to load. The original, viewed on a large monitor is a little sharper with better highlights.

Canon 5D Mark ii, 100-400 4/5.6 at 400mm, converted with MPEG_Streamclip to QuickTime MOV

Same clip uploaded to two different sites to compare results.

Any comments appreciated. Thanks. Jim
    Last edited by James Shadle; 07-12-2010 at 09:13 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

looks very good to me Jim, love the water movment it really adds to the video.
    Rob.

Alfred Forns

Hi Jim this is one of my favorites so far !!! Sweet !!!