Thread: It seemed so simple at first

Jim Miller

Default It seemed so simple at first

What a concept--just push the record button instead of the shutter release! Two months later, after a steep learning curve, I finally have a few short clips that are acceptable. Here is one that captures a pose that has worked for me in still photos, a wing stretch and preening. The video seems so much richer in presenting the behavior, and the bird as a living thing, but it is harder to manage the composition and the beautiful detail of a large still image. For now at least, I am captivated and can't wait till the next outing.

For best results allow time to load, select HD and full screen. YouTube and Vimeo both reduce the size of the original 1920x1080 to 1280x720, and the large files take a while to load. The original, viewed on a large monitor is a little sharper with better highlights.

Canon 5D Mark ii, 100-400 4/5.6 at 400mm, converted with MPEG_Streamclip to QuickTime MOV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxhI8sTq0W0

Same clip uploaded to two different sites to compare results.

Any comments appreciated. Thanks. Jim

Jim Miller

P.S. forgot to mention, the sound track has been omitted. Jim

Alfred Forns

Looks great Jim You are way ahead of me ... I'm just trying to get a sharp image :)

I think these clips will be fun to place with images in a slide show, just a few seconds of video. Will be trying some this weekend !!!

btw for editing will be going back to Final Cut Express since iMovie does not give HD quality. Need to brush up on how to use the program !!!

Jim Miller

Hi Alfred, the hardest part has been learning about codecs and being able to convert the raw footage to a format that is suitable for your intended use. I have been interested to retain the original 1920x1080 resolution and most of the "light" programs like Premiere Elements and Final Cut Express don't do that. Most of my experiments have been about processing the slightly unconventional output of the 5D2: 30.00 frames per second, progressive (no interleaving). It is relatively easy to clip the raw footage and "Save As" to keep the camera native codec, but editing multiple clips usually requires converting to a different codec. The resulting files, even for a minute or two of footage, are quite large, and difficult to share on the internet.

Hoping to learn with others here. Thanks. Jim

Alfred Forns

Hi Jim Will Final Cut Pro make the suitable conversion? Will be a steep learning curve but sure is fun !!!

Julie Kenward

You guys are making me itch for a DSLR that does video! That was amazing, Jim. Great work!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jim, footage looks nice. I really like the fact that you had things locked down and didn't make any gratuitous zooms. The white on the bird looks just a tad hot on my monitor, but I haven't calibrated in a while. Footage will have a more cinematic look if shot 24p. Use 1/50 sec shutter speed (180 degree) to help minimize strobing. There are scopes that come with the edit suite that can be used to verify you're broadcast safe (just in case :) ). Re focus, there are some aftermarket products that turn the live view screen into a viewfinder, e.g. Z-Finder. Everything involving video and cinematography is expensive and will make you think your photo gear is a bargain. :eek: A real video tripod head will allow you to pan without jerky motions. Miller, Cartoni, Sachtler are good brands. Re codecs and conversions, dvinfo.net sponsors competitions for amateur filmmakers. The instructions for submittals have a description of workflows for getting footage ready to post without loss of quality. I'd take a look there. Also read about workflows in their dslr forums and on dvxuser.com.

Jim Miller

Default Thanks

Jim, thanks very much for the tips and advice. I have a lot to learn and I appreciate your help. Jim

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jim,

Nice clean look with the EF 100- 400 mm. and 5d mk 11. Alfred I can get full HD with iMovie '09 but not with Final Cut Express. Can't seem to convert FCE to 1920 by 1080 p for some reason. I love using my Samson Zoom H4n Handy Recorder.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I just got my 5D Mk II and haven't even tried the video feature yet. This link is to a video on B&H website showing use of Final Cut Pro and may be helpful to you in consolidating clips. It discusses and demonstrates the use of the Compressor feature. Hope this helps.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/n...s-Workflow.jsp