Thread: Feeling antsy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Feeling antsy

Attached Images Attached Images

This is a little long horned grasshopper and it is an ant mimic. It is about the same size as one of the medium sized ant species and can easily be mistaken for an ant at first glance. When I found this one in my garden I thought it would be great if I could manage a shot of it jumping (as with my shot of the jumping spider's jump). After many, many unsuccessful shots I had to give up and return this little guy to my garden for a well deserved rest. Now I only have shots of it sitting on the leaf before a jump and many empty frames. I can't help wondering how cool the shot would have been if the grasshopper was in the air.:cool::)
    The bg is one of the lovely hibiscus flowers from my garden. The inner part of the flower is pink and gradually changes to orange and yellow. It is not noise you see on the legs and body but a very fine texture that is also present in the original RAW file.
    MP E65mm; MT 24EX
    apert f16; ss 1/200; iso 100

Ramesh Adkoli

What a great image, Vida! Details, posture, compositon and BG... everything works just great. You are making some amazing images with that lens. TFS. BTW, what was the working distance here?

regards,
    ramesh

Mike Moats

Hey Vida, awesome details and excellent composition. Really like the placement with the antenaes flowing to the top. Great color.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Perfect! The thumbnail jumped out at me and the full image wows me. Love the composition, those long antenae flowing up into the gorgeous BG colors, the leaf, the position of the grasshoper, the details. Excellent! Never thought I would enjoy a photo of a grasshopper!!!!:D

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose, composition, colours, detail/sharpness, of a very unique insect. It would be nice to have just a but more room at the top above the tentacle.

Joe

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This looks surreal (in a good way of course), almost like a painting. I love how the antennae direct the eye toward the pink. Amazing sharpness and detail.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This shots looks almost alien! I completely agree with what the others have already said.

I'm glad you told us what this is or else I might have thought it was one of those Chimera edits from Worth 1000. :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ramesh, Mike, Anita, Joe, Ignacio and Ken. Your great comments are much appreciated.:) Joe, you are right and my image was actually 650 x 816 but when I tried to upload it I got a message that said it was too large. I thought that I'm allowed to post 800 on the longest side and only realized after wards that they mean 800 on the vertical. So, being a bit lazy I cropped a little bit of the top and bottom to get to 800.:)

Julie Kenward

I see we're finally back up and running! And what a treat to come back and find this image waiting for us, Vida. Lovely colors and incredible DOF. I think I might be skipping over my purchase of the 180mm for the one you're using - these images are fantastic!

I really can't find anything to criticize but I am sorry you didn't get the image you were after. I can only imagine how incredible THAT would have been - but this is no second place image, that's for sure!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Shees Vida and you wanted this one to jump!:eek: I'd love to have a single opportunity just to see this insect:D

Lovely image and I love the design of the bg colours. The one in focus and one oof antlers just makes it so interesting for me. Works very, very well.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Vida,

Love the composition and your colorful floral BG. I think you're getting me into insects again.
    Keep them coming...

PS Jules don't stop thinking about the 180. Get them both.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jules, Geurt and Charles. Thank you for the lovely comments. It made my day.:) Geurt, it is great to see another South African on the site. :) Ramesh, I'm sorry, I forgot to answer your question. The working distance here was approximately 6cm. Joe, that 800 on the longest side should read 1024.:)

Callie de Wet

Pragtig, Vida! I love everything, also to "meet" Geurt here too! What lens are you using - I see the Canon FLASH name, but not the lens, is it a click on screw on or just straight Canon Macro?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Callie. Great to "meet" you too! I use a Canon MP E 65mm lens and macro twin flash. It is a very unique macro lens that can magnify up to 5x and it opens up a whole new world of wonderful little creatures.:)

Callie de Wet

Thanks Vida, one-up for Canon!:D I thought you were using a Raynox lens.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow. One could debate what is better, the grasshopper or the background but why quibble when you have the both. In the avian forum the HAP might take small issue on the grasshopper but it would be a small issue.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hallo Vida, another gorgeous bug! I thought I'd seen a lot of insects, but this one is a first for me! Are they common around where you live? Nothing further too add to all the compliments already given except that your BG's really make your images something special.

Paul Marcellini

Wow, this is fantastic. Great work! The comp and background color are great.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow Vida, I know we are suppose to post a constructive comment or critique but you know sometimes Wow is all that is needed :D
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Declan, Jerry, Paul and Don. I never expected the great response to my shot and thank you very much.:) Jerry, they are not common, I've only found another one of these once before (both times in my garden) in the 2 years I've been actively searching for insects.:)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow!!! Fantastic shot, Vida! :) The composition is perfect and the BG is beyond belief. You are doing a terrific job with these insect macros!
    God Bless
    Christopher, Old Photo Master and Master Texturizer

Old Memories Photography

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Vida, This is astounding. It must take a lot of patience and work with that lens.... This one is fresh and bold and the sharpness on the body is astounding. I hope to see some more of your creations.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Mike Fuhr

Looks like a future image of the week to me!!:D

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I just have to add that I also think this is stunning! The flower BG looks like a Sunset. Could be used for a movie studio poster for the newest end of world film. The insects will always survive.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Christopher, Artie, Mike and Ed. Thank you all for the wonderful feedback. Highly appreciated.:)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Vida, what can I say after all the accolades above - your exceptional talent shows up once again, and take a bow.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu. Thank you so much and highly appreciated.:)

Ákos Lumnitzer

Excellent comp, colors and work. I am speechless. Great effort with that lens for sure. :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for the lovely comments Akos. Much appreciated.:)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome! Cover of a book?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

this image is ridiculously beautiful
    TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bob, Harshad, sorry for the late reply. I don't know how I missed this. Thanks a lot and your comments are much appreciated.:)