Thread: Ostrich chick

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ostrich chick

Attached Images Attached Images

These were the smallest ostriches I've ever seen - can't have been older than a day or two, hardly bigger than an egg. They kept mostly hidden by grass and their parent's legs, but this one offered a brief open view. Light wasn't great and unfortunately I couldn't freeze that dinosaur-looking foot!

Shot near Cape of Good Hope, South Africa.

Canon 1D MkIII, Canon 800 f/5.6; 1/400s @ f/5.6, ISO 640

Judy Lynn Malloch

Sweet image and great low angle and action. The detail is excellent and a lovely BG. Only one wish and that would be that his foot was in focus . A wonderful capture and a first for me. I have never had the privilege of seeing a baby ostrich. Many thanks for sharing.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hee-hee--You can just see how he fit into the egg! What a character! How old was he?

Paul

Axel Hildebrandt

Very cool, I don't remember seeing an image of an ostrich chick before, thanks for sharing this! I like the angle, soft light, eye contact and BG and would give it a tad more room at the bottom for the virtual foot.

Fabs Forns

I love that face! I don't mind the blurry foot but would like to have more room at bottom. I think it can go a bot lighter too.
    Great detail in the feathers, keep them coming!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a cutie! I like the detail in the face and the way the curve of the grass compliments the body.Nice BG as well. At first I thought it was tight, but the more I look at it the more I like the impact the tightish framing gives.

Cindy Mead

what a precious chick! wonderful detail throughout and I like the soft light/colors Ignacio.. I do wish the foot were just a tad more in focus, but really enjoy this view of this remarkable bird. Very sweet :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ignacio, Great low angle, and the light looks good to me. I like the colours and BG, and agree adding to the bottom will work. Was this in the nature reserve at Cape Point.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely low angle and sharpness. A smaller aperture would have been better but since you were already at 1/400, that might have blurred the foot. A very very cool image that you should be proud of. Loved the BG too.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Bowie View Post
    Was this in the nature reserve at Cape Point.
    Thanks Stuart. yes, this was shot at Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve, near Cape Point itself.

Best,