Thread: Crested Caracara

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Crested Caracara

Attached Images Attached Images

Crested Caracara Sub-Adult on Wild Boar

San Antonio, TX

D300s, 600, f5, 1/400, ISO 400. Baited :-)

In this frame with the wing spread, the head was a little soft, so I replaced it with the sharper head from the next frame.

Tip: When working raptors from a blind, have two people enter the blind with you and then leave. Birds can't count so they think you have left.

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Interesting image Alan, I like the how you caught the wings fanned out and the overall composition. Not so sure about the head swap, I think it needs just a tad bit more work around the edges. :-)

Thanks for the tip, maybe one day the birds will learn how to count, then we'll all be in trouble. :-)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

geez, murph. that's taking baiting to a new level!!! love the pose you got from the caracara. one beautiful bird!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image Alan
    TFS

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Murphy View Post
    Tip: When working raptors from a blind, have two people enter the blind with you and then leave. Birds can't count so they think you have left.
    TFS this trick :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Alan, I love the view of the wing spread as it really shows the details nicely. Good job with the replacing the head; works well. What really makes the image for me is capturing the bird on the boar. A nice display of behavior. Thanks for sharing.

Alfred Forns

Hi Murph That is one bird with with an attitude !! I like the pose and look, maybe just a little more room for the wing? PS work with the swap is good, mighty fine image ... different and works well !!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love it. The pose and look on that bird are mighty. In this image the dirty bill is just right.
    Just curious, what do you think are the chances that you can publish an image lake this (in a magazine etc.)?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really love seeing the dead hog. Need to see a lot more of them. Mean looking bird, too, in more ways than one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

We found in S Africa, you had to go 2 to the hide, the one returning held a long raincoat hanging down to give the impression of 2 figures, they have started counting, nice photo

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A powerful image with the pose of the bird looking down at the boar with wings spread. Good PP work on the head. I like it.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you didn't mention the head sawp I would have never noticed. I like the flared out wings and the head angle. The Boar adds a lot to this image...graphic but yet necessary.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ilija Dukovski View Post
    I love it. The pose and look on that bird are mighty. In this image the dirty bill is just right.
    Just curious, what do you think are the chances that you can publish an image lake this (in a magazine etc.)?
    Good question Ilija, I'm guessing that most commercial magazines would stay away from printing this image due to the graphic content.

Forum Participant Joe Senzatimore's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Outstanding image Alan. The outstreched wings put it over the top. Nice PS work as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi alan,

I love the scene here and the cool pose of the bird.
    And from a technical point of view I think you did a terrific job with the headswap!

But even though it looks flawless IMHO the DOF looks off now, the head of the boar and caracara, while in the same plane of focus, are not both in focus now. Also the head of the Caracara and the back of the boar + spine aren't in the same plane of focus but are both in focus now. Maybe quickmasking a boar head from another shot into this one and selectively blurring the back and spine would make it work better.

Respectfully,

Krijn

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krijn Trimbos View Post
    Hi alan,

I love the scene here and the cool pose of the bird.
    And from a technical point of view I think you did a terrific job with the headswap!

But even though it looks flawless IMHO the DOF looks off now, the head of the boar and caracara, while in the same plane of focus, are not both in focus now. Also the head of the Caracara and the back of the boar + spine aren't in the same plane of focus but are both in focus now. Maybe quickmasking a boar head from another shot into this one and selectively blurring the back and spine would make it work better.

Respectfully,

Krijn
    Krijn, I totaly agree with you, so I went and masked over a sharper boar and it looks great. Thanks.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool !! I like the "scene" caught

Lou ""

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image Bhai, lovely layer technic too.. loved the pose and HA, the dead perch adds just too well here...