Thread: Townsend's Warbler

Todd Frost

Default Townsend's Warbler

Attached Images Attached Images

D300, 400 2.8 w/1.4tc, 1/500, f4, iso400, man exp
    Image made in my backyard (cherry tree), paused for a moment while heading to suet block. Some separation from moss/lichen at head would be nice and would not be too difficult in ps.
    Thanks for looking, comments and critiques appreciated.
    Todd
    Last edited by Todd Frost; 01-16-2010 at 01:39 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

I agree with your critique re the BG lichen and head, Todd. Perch has heaps of character and focus looks sharp. I would probably tone down the sharpening on the lichen a bit is starting to look a little "crunchy". Darkening down the bright area in the BG may also be worth a try.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow perfect focus ,perch and background

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice exposure and comp Todd. I'd clone out a section or perhaps all of the lichen, not sure which. Touch call! Cute bird and nice photo.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You could get separation by all or some of the following. Midtone contrast reduction of the lichen, de-sharpnening(or blurring) the lichen, desaturating the lichen, saturating the bird. You could even lower the saturation of everything but the bird. but I would vote to see the lichen stay. Although the perch is what would usually be considered too large for the bird it looks just right here. I would crop in to eliminate the lower right hand corner OOF stuff, and lessen the ammount of lichen at the upper left hand corner. I love the shot for real. If you saturated the birds yellow would that through off how he really looks?

Paul

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a fantastic shot. I actually wouldn't touch the lichen, but that's my way of shooting (not a fan of altering the perch the bird was on), and certainly not everyones cup of tea.

I love the sharpness, the absolutely perfect textured perch, and your composition.