Thread: Whimbrel

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Whimbrel

Attached Images Attached Images

Photographed at South Beach last August. No this isn't Miami's South Beach but Chatham on Cape Cod where ther is excellent viewing of migrating shore birds
    Nikon D300
    80-400mm @ 400mm
    600mm (in 35mm film)
    1/800 sec, f/14
    Mode: Program
    Metering: Center-weighted average
    Exp comp: -1/3
    ISO: 200
    AF mode: AF-C
    White balance: AUTO

Color adjustment and cropped

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Attached Images Attached Images

Nice flight shot, Myer. Focus looks sharp and flight angle is good. Image looks to have quite a a strong red colour cast - tried a neutralised and brightened version to see how it looked. ISO 400 is my starting point for BIF with the D300 as it is very clean wrt noise and gives a bit more flexibility in maintaining high shutter speeds. I would have chosen aperture priority and a wider aperture to gain SS and blur out the BG more. Not clear on the reason for the -EC - with the bright sky +2/3 would seem more appropriate unless the crop is not representative of the image as framed. Looks like a good venue to catching migrants.
    Last edited by Tony Whitehead; 01-16-2010 at 04:07 AM.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tony
    Thanks your correction looks better. It did not look as red on my laptop when I adjusted the image. as for the -EV That was me not looking at my settings and setting everything back to neutral. After wading on shore from the boat the activity of the birds was so great I first look with binoc to ID the birds then started to photograph. I relized the setting problem a little later and corrected it.

it is a great venue for catching migrants. That day there was three different birding groups on the shore. We totaled 37 different species that day

Last edited by Myer Bornstein; 01-16-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: adding text