Thread: Scissor-tailed flycatcher in habitat

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Scissor-tailed flycatcher in habitat

This one is from last summer...a personal favorite. They come here from Mexico to breed.

40D. 300 f/4L non-IS and 1.4x. iso 400. f/5.6. 1/2000. exp. comp +1/3rd. Evening light. I havent done any BG blurring....just some NR that has causes a little softness.

Does the crop work or should I take some off the right? I cropped it like this because the bird is looking directly out of the frame on that side..I thought a little extra room would look good. Does it?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kaustubh:

Very interesting bird, well captured. Good exposure, head angle and sharpness.

I like the environmental component, wishing only that the one OOF grass crossing the body wasn't there.

re: crop. Because the tail is so long, it gives you lots of room to the right already, when looking at the head, to right edge distance, so I would in fact crop in just short of the bright yellow flower in RLC.

I might tone down the light area in the background beside the head.

Very nice.

Cheers

Randy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kaustubh,

This is a beautiful bird indeed that is not easy to fit into a composition. Randy's suggestions covered pretty much what I wanted to say. I like this image very much too. TFS.

Axel Hildebrandt

Pose, angle and sharpness look good. I might crop a tad off top and right but not much and would try to remove the OOF grass in front of the wing tips and tip of the tail.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

These birds are so hard to compose in the frame but you did a good job here I also like the suggestion by Axel to take a little off the top and right side as long as you keep the same aspect ratio.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful presentation. I like most of the habitat, but would prefer the whitish blotches in URC not be there and same for the yellow flower above your name. Good job on the techs. I'm torn on the comp...I'd see this with about 1/3 of the space at LEFT cropped away (and a sliver on top too). Very subjective, eh!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose, light and colours in this. Comp wise, I would have gone with Dan's idea.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thx everyone. Yes...the cropping is very subjective and I typically stuggle with it a lot. I think I will try out and check. But one thing I like abt the crop-little-from-right idea is that it will take out the bright OOF spot near the URC. I had not thought of cropping more from top because if possible, I like to adhere to rule-of-thirds. will give it a try.

really really appreciated.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice photo. I really like the soft feel to it as well as the habitat. Lots of good suggestions offered. Dave

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

repost with crop from right and top.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the posture of the bird and the composition a lot. Nice exposure and sharpness. I like your repost better but would now take a litte more off the left and top. Our recrop fom you first post leaving more on the right
    Ted