Thread: Killdeer on a cloud

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Killdeer on a cloud

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's an attempt at the "Asian" theme. The bird was photographed on snow, an unusual spot for a Killdeer! A heavy crop, Topaz cartoon on a layer, erased from the birds head and feet, stroked and framed.
    Last edited by Dan Brown; 01-11-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: add photo

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Dan, Since I am not as familiar w/ Asian art could you give us/me an explanation as to why they would put the bird on a vertical comp. like this. I know that I have seen this before-I was just wondering what the thoughts behind it were-if you know. :)
    I love the sig and chop and the soft "clouds' of snow.The treatment on the Killdeer looks nice. Nice work

Cindy Mead

a wonderful minimal comp Dave, with just enough colors and form. The pano crop works well here and lends a nice oriental feel to the image. Very well done! :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by denise ippolito View Post
    Dan, Since I am not as familiar w/ Asian art could you give us/me an explanation as to why they would put the bird on a vertical comp. like this. I know that I have seen this before-I was just wondering what the thoughts behind it were-if you know. :)
    I love the sig and chop and the soft "clouds' of snow.The treatment on the Killdeer looks nice. Nice work
    I will have to look into the reasons behind this Asian vertical crop. My attempt here may not be appropriate for this, I just went with it:p. For one thing, the crop fits the "scroll" canvas and rice papers but I'm sure there are better reasons than that.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Dan, Thanks. I was just wondering if it had anything to do w/ the way they write their letters/words-on a vertical.:) I like your comp. it goes w/ the theme wonderfully.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the vertical, the simplicity of the shot, and the snow is lovely.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by denise ippolito View Post
    Denise, I asked my Chinese brush painting instructor about this and was told that the narrow vertical scroll format originated "back in the day" because the houses were so small that there wasn't much available wall space for big, square of rectangle paintings and the scrolls could be rolled up and stored without taking up much space. Now it is tradition!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice scroll format, Dan. I like the bg texture. Very nicely done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Brown View Post
    Denise, I asked my Chinese brush painting instructor about this and was told that the narrow vertical scroll format originated "back in the day" because the houses were so small that there wasn't much available wall space for big, square of rectangle paintings and the scrolls could be rolled up and stored without taking up much space. Now it is tradition!

Dan, Thankyou for getting back to me-I always wondered about that and it makes sense. I was considering an image w/ a similar format -but wasn't sure if there were certain guidelines to consider.:) This has already been an informative week!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image and application Dan.

Thanks for Judging so you can't be considered!! :D

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very beautiful image Dan. He looks like he's walking on clouds. I think the origination of the vertical scroll format
    is interesting.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/