Thread: Racket-Tailed Treepies : Kaeng Krachan, Thailand

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Racket-Tailed Treepies : Kaeng Krachan, Thailand

This was taken from a ground blind near a watering hole for the local birds. It was under full jungle canopy cover. The birds that came spooked easily hence no fill in flash was used at all. This pair came down for a brief spell. Unfortunately with the shallow DOF I could not get both birds sharp. The position of the blind just about covered the minimal focussing distance of the lens.

1D Mk3 + EF800mm 1/13s f/5.6 ISO1000 EV +1/3

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A new species for most for sure. Interesting birds. I like the basic COMP and the bird on the right is surely sharp enough. I think that it could go a bit brighter with possibly a bit more contrast. The head of the second bird could be selectively sharpened and I think that with that and some Eye Doctor work you could increase the apparent sharpness.

Lastly, if you have some freedom there, you might consider switching out the rocks if you can find some that are more pleasing.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am used to see tree-pies in India...but this is one interesting looking bird. At 1/13, the sharpness is quite good. Loved the low angle. Shooting birds in these conditions is tough for sure. Thx for sharing.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Phil,

Look for an article with photos by Gunn and myself about the water holes maintained by former poachers just outside Kaeng Krachan national park. It will be in the summer/early autumn issue of BirdingAsia. We feature Slaty-legged Crake images...One afternoon, I was almost "run over" by a speeding King Cobra at one of the waterholes back in November. Also, if you are in Thailand in autumn, there is a new (phenomenal) location to see/photograph migrating raptors - Pencil Hill (Khao Dinsor) on the coast just north of Chumphon. Best place in SE Asia - and I have been doing raptor migration studies in Asia for a decade now...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Robert - Interesting article there and also the Raptor Watch spot is well documented these parts. They are all below eye level!