Thread: Snow Bunting

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snow Bunting

Attached Images Attached Images

Image created this morning in Salisbury MA. Unfortunately around here, the snow buntings rarely sit ion pristine snow...they kinda like it amoung the bits of exposed grass where they can forage for food.

Nikon D300s, 500VR, TC17EII, ISO500, F9, 1/1600, CW Metring Near Uni Preset +.3 EV

Danny J Brown

Hey Jim - Classic shot of a bird I've never seen in real life - that I know of anyway. The snow looks perfect to me and the other elements make this little portrait shine, especially the dry grass coming through the snow. The bokeh allows me to get a bit of a feel for the environment so I like that too. Colors are beautiful as black and brown are too of my favorites on a bird - sounds boring but that is what I like. Finally, I like the gleam in the little fella's eye.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jim:

Perfect exposure on the bird, I too like the environmental component. Excellent shooting angle, I like to be able to see the feet so well.

Cheers

Randy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Getting the feet included was a tough one. The wind was really blowing and most of the rime the birds were hunkered down into little wind furrows in the snow. This one popped up for about 10 seconds and I got a number of images with feet included :)

Todd Frost

Nice image, exposure and detail look good. I don't find it unfortunate to find this guy in the grasses at all, if not for the environment we could make the images in a studio.
    Todd

Axel Hildebrandt

I think the grass adds to the image. Light, angle and open beak add to it. The catchlight looks a bit odd, I would make it a bit smaller.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The catch light is natural....both from the sun in the sky and the snow on the ground.

I even got one where the catch light is a perfect 5 pointed star shape :)

How can a catchlight look odd if it's real?

I'm confused (so what else is new?)

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fenton View Post
    The catch light is natural....both from the sun in the sky and the snow on the ground.

I even got one where the catch light is a perfect 5 pointed star shape :)

How can a catchlight look odd if it's real?

I'm confused (so what else is new?)
    If it is natural, it has to be good. :) Kidding aside, maybe sharpening the catchlight less would make it look less 'frosted'?

Ofer Levy

Beautiful. Would try to define the catchlight a bit more.