Thread: Redtail Perch

david cramer

Default Redtail Perch

At Bosque. Shortened length of perch and cloned out two distracting branches. Noiseware applied on bg.

D3 with 500vr + 1.7 hand held, f/6.7, 1/500, ev +0.33, iso 1600

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the head angle and background here. I don't know what it is though, but the bird and perch appears quite cartoonish to me, almost like a painting. It almost looks like you applied heavy NR directly to the bird itself, rather than just the BG.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose and colors but on my monitor it looks like the NR is applied to the bird as well.

david cramer

No noise reduction on the bird, but this is a heavy crop, and at 1024 px high the detail in the bird isn't holding up well, particularly face and talons.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Handheld 500mm plus 1.7 at 1/500 is pretty darn good. Nice clean bg with complimentary colours is nice as is eye contact. Well done. Dave

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

While I love the files I'm getting out of my D700 (akin to the D3), I find it's only useful for subjects big enough or close enough....the files just don't hold up to heavy cropping.

Side lighting looks a bit harsh and I think this one was just a bit too far away.

That's why I keep a D300s as well :)

Axel Hildebrandt

Angle, eye contact and BG look good, Too bad that it is such a heavy crop. I would tone down the highlights more, especially perch and feet.

Todd Frost

Nice pose. Agree on not holding up to the crop, to bad. Fantastic bg colors.
    Todd