Thread: Emperor penguins leaping

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Emperor penguins leaping

Attached Images Attached Images

Another from a recent trip to the Weddell Sea. We were lucky enough to have Emperor Penguins using the wake of our parked ship as a launching pad to get back on to the ice. beautiful experience.

Axel Hildebrandt

Great timing and composition. I like the captured action and might make the blacks a bit darker and/or boost contrast.

Callie de Wet

Luck man! A lovely shot. I would like to see a bit more contrast, but never being in a position before to shoot under these circumstances, I really do not know how to achieve same.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the action you captured. I find the combination of one penguin completely out of the water and other still emerging to very interesting and pleasing. I also like the trailing water. I agree on increasing the contrast; as I took the image into photoshop and played with boosting the contrast and did like the results. If this isn't full frame did you consider a crop that included more room for the penguins to leap into? Thanks for sharing.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Per

Excellent timing on this photo to produce a pleasing composition. Another vote for an increase in contrast.

Cheers

Rich

Judy Lynn Malloch

Incredible timing and wonderful to capture two together. I agree with Axel on the darkening of the blacks a tad. What a great experience and thanks for sharing.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with the previous comments. A contrast boost would be of help.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Per-Gunnar:

Wonderful capture, showing their action coming out of the water, in two phases.

The image does look flat, but in my mind, just increasing the contrast will cause loss of all white details, whereas adjusting the shadow slider in levels( per Axel's comment) will give the blacks some more punch without effecting the snow.

Hope to see more!

Randy