Thread: Rough-Legged Hawk

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Rough-Legged Hawk

Attached Images Attached Images

A700 + Sony 18-250mm, 250mm, ISO 200, 1/500, f/6.3

Lightroom adjustments and cropped.

I think this is a Rough-Legged Hawk. One morning while driving to work I spotted this Hawk hunting over an empty field. I stopped and started shooting. I was surprised to see that it was more interested in me and kept flying above me checking me out...Thank god I am 180lbs and to big for it to eat. LOL.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome Jeff, and thanks for your membership support. Lovely comp and light and yes, a wonderful rough-leg. Image quality is very poor but that is no shock as the file is tiny. You can post up to 200kb. Yours was about 1/10th of that.

The sky was blotchy so I did a 3 pixel Gaussian blur on a BKGR layer and then erased the edges of the bird. Then I selected inverse (I had saved the sky selection) and sharpened only the bird at 500/.2 and then a 2nd round at 120/.2.

How large a crop was this?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

Always great to see this species, I like the wing position and look-down pose. The sharpened version looks much better and I might crop a bit tighter. Keep them coming!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This was a large crop Arthur. I think I am going to need some CS4 training to better understand what you did to the photo. :)

Thanks to both Axel and yourself for the kind words and advice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sorbie View Post
    This was a large crop Arthur. I think I am going to need some CS4 training to better understand what you did to the photo. :) Thanks to both Axel and yourself for the kind words and advice.
    YAW. That is what I figgered. As for the Photoshop training, that is why I developed Digital Basics :); click on the Digital Basics File link here: https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/ca....aspx?catid=32
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arthur, I ordered "The Art of Bird Photography II" During the Christmas break. I hope to have it this week. I believe that "Digital Basics" is one of the chapters.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jeff. That will help you get started but the digital chapter in ABP II has been updated at least four times with tons of new techniques and the last time that I updated it, which was just recently, I completely reorganized it as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I will order it this afternoon....Thanks Arthur.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. Jim will send it tomorrow via e-mail. You will find it most helpful.