Thread: Black Skimmer at Tigertail Beach (Lagoon)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black Skimmer at Tigertail Beach (Lagoon)

Date/Time07-May-2009 086:49
    MakeCanon
    ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark II
    Flash UsedNo
    Focal Length840 mm
    Exposure Time1/1000 sec
    Aperturef/10
    ISO Equivalent500
    Exposure Bias
    White Balance
    Metering Modematrix (5)
    JPEG Quality
    Exposure Programshutter priority (2)
    Focus Distance

This image is a rework of one I posted at pbase quite some time ago. I made a poor effort to improve the shot by eliminating a couple of oblong reflections in the upper third of the image (ahead of the skimmer). The photograph has been cropped significantly, lightened, sharpened, with additional lightening on the head and nape of the skimmer with a darkening of the highlight on the secondaries. Slight overall positive contrast adjustment made. Tripod used. The originally uploaded image may be seen here . . . http://www.pbase.com/jkrnm5/image/113312298/original

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bob, I really like the concept of the image especially the way the backlighting highlights the spray around the head. I think the image would be stronger if the eye was visible the skimmer is sharp enough that you expect to be able to see one and the fact that you cant makes it hard for me to connect to the image.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the perspective and timing are very good. It looks to me this photo could use a bit more room at the top though. It would even be better if the eye is more visible. A bit sharpening is what I would do, too.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As someone who has tried and failed to capture skimmers skimming this is an impressive shot. I love the spray coming off the head. I agree that it could use a bit more room at the top and the eye would be nice.

Joe

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oops. I was afraid after I did what I did that I would see what I see. A modified version based on recommendations for this shot replaced the original. Here's the commentary that I was going to make . . .

Much thanks for the feedback on this shot. I see why I cropped so low initially in a third look at the image. Here's another (preferred) crop. When I went back to the original image as edited, I noted that it also has a +.40% rotation as well which I've kept. In this latest version, the image has been sharpened more heavily and lightened. It also has had the eye enhanced. I've taken enough shots of this species to know that it's difficult in most instances to have clear definition of the eye which can only really be appreciated from extremely close range or under ideal lighting conditions. I haven't made the other enhancements with this version as described above beyond what's noted here.