Thread: Mating Mergansers

Judy Lynn Malloch

Default Mating Mergansers

Attached Images Attached Images

It is always a good to know that the species is being continued and hopefully we will have some babies this spring.

Nikon D300
    Nikon 600 mm F4
    ISO 400
    1/1250, F9
    manual

All comments are appreciated. Thanks

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The eye, and that glint from it, on the male is great. Good angle, light is great. I wish the beak didn't merge with the female's head. I would be tempted to crop a bit more off the right, especially if you have a tiny bit more of the water in the back of the birds.

I wonder if a duck's reaction is "how can you do that on land!?" :)

Art Peslak

A great behavioral shot. Nice light and the splash off the back of the male is great. I think the beak merging with the female's head actually adds to the shot.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Many thanks for your comments as they are most appreciated.. The merging beak is part of the mating process with most ducks as the male holds the females head down during the mating time and sometimes even submerges her head under water. In an other situation the merging beak would be less than desirable but in this case this is what occurs in nature. Agaim sincere thanks for taking the time to look.

Best
    judylynn

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah, I was gonna say, that's a grab not a merge! (I was gonna make a suggestive comment here but thought better of it :) I am sure that most of you could figure it out...) Perhaps a reverse S Curves adjustment could reduce the great contrast between the blacks and the whites.

What time was the image created, and where?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Many thanks Artie for your comments. I will give the reverse S Curve a try !!! This was taken aboutt 8.30 in the morning at Viera. I spent two days there this week and there was a lot of action and also the male masked duck was sighted on both days.

Have a wonderful weekend
    judylynn

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Judy, As soon as I saw the image I thought it was Viera I pulled the image into PS and I was able to get a little more detail in the head but the unfortunately the blacks on the breast are clipped and there is no detail left.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

YAW Judy. I was thinking along Don's lines. This one might benefit from two conversions. It sure was bright for 8:30. You did great getting them in clean water and parallel to the back of the camera.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Lynn Malloch View Post
    The merging beak is part of the mating process with most ducks as the male holds the females head down during the mating time and sometimes even submerges her head under water.
    Learned something new, thank you!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Judy I like the timing a lot, light and shoting angle are very good and you have got both birds paralel to the camera´s sensor with excelent eye contact :)

Ofer Levy

Well done for getting this behaviour! Looks a bit soft to me - is it a big crop?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image. I have mallards doing this [mating]. I might crop a little differently giving a little less head room.
    Ted