Thread: family

Charles Senkus

Default family

Attached Images Attached Images

7D, 700 mm,1/2500,f5.6,iso 400 i like this 1 alot and was wondering what the folks here thought? This was taken at conowingo Md.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Awesome action captured in this image and some good detail in the darks but would lighten it a touch as it appears a little dark on my monitor. Also would lower the saturation of the sky. Congratulations on capturing this wonderful action Charles. Your timing was awesome. thanks for sharing.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Charles, I like it heaps as well! Is that a sub-adult following the parent? I would have preferred a little more space on the left side though. Colours look ok on my monitors.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice action and what looks like a fish in the adults talons is a bonus. Would prefer some separation between the two and agree with Judy regarding the colors.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Was able to implement Judy's suggestions but not Mike's (though I agree with Mike's.) I lightened the whole thing and played with the blues a bit as they looked artificial. (All as detailed in Digital Basics.

Great that you got the heads of both sharp.

Out of curiosity, does anyone try to feed them there?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Still was not thrilled so I ran a 50% average blur color balance. I think that there was a blue cast.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Charles Senkus

thanks for looking artie! and i don't think it is really necessary to try to feed them as they light in the trees fairly close and sometimes catch fish in the river which is right there, a really great spot for eagles in my opinion. a shot of what it looks like.When they generate power some fish are pulled thru and injured so its easy pickings for the birds(lots of gulls,and there is an island full of blue herons too) some of the adults even droped fish in the parking lot as the younger eagles tried to steal their fish.
    Last edited by Charles Senkus; 01-09-2010 at 12:26 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I Charles, i think Artie's second repost is the best interpretation at of the three. rally nice action and detail just wish for some separation between the birds.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lacy View Post
    I Charles, i think Artie's second repost is the best interpretation at of the three. rally nice action and detail just wish for some separation between the birds.
    Thanks Don. Ah, you like the one in Pane #6 best. So do I. The sky in the previous one was a bit too sickly for me :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Senkus View Post
    thanks for looking artie! and i don't think it is really necessary to try to feed them as they light in the trees fairly close and sometimes catch fish in the river which is right there, a really great spot for eagles in my opinion. a shot of what it looks like.When they generate power some fish are pulled thru and injured so its easy pickings for the birds(lots of gulls,and there is an island full of blue herons too) some of the adults even droped fish in the parking lot as the younger eagles tried to steal their fish.
    Thanks Charles. I was there a zillion years ago but obviously in the wrong place as the **** dam was about two miles away.

I meant to ask, was this a healthy crop?

ps: If I can find something from Homer with the boys and girls I will post it here for comparison. :)

Charles Senkus

cropped to 1:4 of orig. not big but cropped. I understand how some might like a little more seperation, personally i think it gives a feeling of togetherness being so close together, a feeling of family.
    Last edited by Charles Senkus; 01-09-2010 at 01:51 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with the comments about color but I have no problem with the overlaping between both birds because no important parts of the birds are affcted by the overlaping. The action is very nice and I think that a bit of aditional room at the left would improve the composition. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

cropped to 1:4 of orig. not big but cropped. I understand how some might like a little more seperation, personally i think it gives a feeling of togetherness being so close together, a feeling of family.
    Can you post a JPEG of the whole thing?

Charles Senkus

guess i can't do that sorry i'll try again

Threads
    Thank You Posts

guess i can't do that sorry
    Hi Again, I am confused by the above (no pic). What I was looking for was to see the whole image as captured for the image in Pane 1.

Charles Senkus

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/t...0/IMG_1705.jpg
    here's a link to the full size straight from camera. ok now it works
    Last edited by Charles Senkus; 01-09-2010 at 02:54 PM.

Charles Senkus

saved from lightroom it seems the link to the full size jpg isn't working either (fixed link above)
    Last edited by Charles Senkus; 01-09-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. Not huge crop but I think that folks were looking for something like this (for cropping/compositional purposes only) with a bit of canvas added. Added just a bit of canvas in the rear and cropped wider. I seem to have lost some IQ in the process...