Thread: Slate-colored Junco

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Slate-colored Junco

I made this close-up on a soft light morning after adding more snow near the feeding area on my deck.

1D mk II, 300 f4 IS, 1.4x II, tripod.
    1/200 @ f8 ISO 200
    Most of frame, very close, shot through pre-cleaned glass.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely done. I like the composition and the focus looks spot on. If it were mine, I might try to bring out the bird a bit more with some saturation or contrast or both. Pretty looking bird. Dave

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Th eimage looks a bit flat in my monitor and I think that a touch of boosting contrast would be great and, perhaps, a bit more room at the left. I like the soft light, detailed textures of the plumage and snow and the superb eye contact.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Kevin:

Good advice above. I had a minute, so incorporated a few of the suggestions above into a repost. I have gone slightly too far on the lightening of the bird, but find that really subtle changes don't come across well on the web sometimes. Did add canvas to the left.

Tech use: Curves layer, increase exposure 1 stop, fill layer mask with black, paint with white, soft brush, low opacity to bring up the bird only. There are lots of way to do this, but this is quick and give a nice result,IMO.

Another thing that will help your presentations. The original file was only 60Kb. Try to post close to the maximums of 200Kb, 1024 x 800. It will show your image to its best advantage, and make any critiques or reposts better.

Cheers

Randy