Thread: Flock at Sunset

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Flock at Sunset

Taken from Bunch Beach looking toward the Sanibel lighthouse, as a flock of black skimmers came by.

D300, 200-400 @ 400, ISA 640, 1/2500th, f4, handheld.

I cloned out a couple of partial birds on the right. I have a bit more frame on the left, but wanted a 2:1 aspect ratio as I may get a print made in that shape. I fiddled with the colors a bit trying to keep them true, but get it in gamut. That was actually quite hard, the colors in those oranges were all over the place.

I had a really bright sky at the top, and left only a bit. I debated taking it all out; could not decide if this sliver detracted or added interest.

The OOF land was on purpose; I did a few more in focus as well, but decide I liked this to ensure the interest was on the flock. Does it?

As an aside, for those freezing up north - this was Christmas Eve. ;)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I studied this extremely appealing image taken at Bunche Beach for quite some time. If it were mine, I would remove the sliver at top to allow for the inclusion of more water which I would lighten slightly, especially on the right.

Axel Hildebrandt

I like the mood and light and might crop a tad off the top.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I checked -- no more water in the frame, so cropping off the top means stretching it beyond 2:1 -- which may not be bad, just if I am going to print it, need to find someone who can. Was going to try one of those Fotoflot prints, have never done one, and I need something for my office. They go from 2:1 to 3:1, and at 3:1 all but a tiny sliver of water disappears. Though I may work it up -- it is rather cool very wide, emphasizes the flight itself.