Thread: Does f stop influence the video capture?

Fabs Forns

Default Does f stop influence the video capture?

Using aperture value for capturing video, I suppose the f stop would make a difference and if it does, what is the "standard" aperture assuming there is enough light to close down?

Lance Peters

Quote Originally Posted by Fabs Forns View Post
    Using aperture value for capturing video, I suppose the f stop would make a difference and if it does, what is the "standard" aperture assuming there is enough light to close down?
    Hi Fabs - On the D3S it does - you have to be in manual mode and you can then adjust both the aperture and the shutter speed as per if you were shooting a still in manual mode. You can see the changes on the lcd in liveview.
    The high sensitivity movie mode is also interesting - akin to setting the iso at 102,400 still exploring/learning.

Since it lacks autofocus I am finding in bright sunlight conditions that if you set your aperture to f16 or so the DOF is sufficient enough so that you dont have to continuously be adjusting your focus depending on what you are shooting and with what lens of course.

Exciting options - IMHO

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Some additional considerations - Most of the folks using a DSLR for video are trying for a "filmic" look characterized by 24 frames per second, 180 degree shutter, shallow depth of field. The frame rate is achieved via 24p recording (slow mo tends to be achieved via recording 50p and then convert in post). The 180 shutter works out to be about 1/50 sec. if you're shooting 24 frames per second. The shallow depth of field for isolating subject is then acquired via a combination of ISO setting, f-stop, and possibly ND or polarizing filter. Wildlife filming naturally results in shallow dof due to the long lenses used. Other considerations such as 720 or 1080 resolution are related to the target distribution, e.g. HDNet only takes 1080 footage.

Fabs Forns

Thanks, guys. I did film a few with the 5D, yet to see how they look. Used 7.1 in Aperture value and manual focused before starting.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

In a story telling mode in video, it is important to restrict the depth of field and get shallow dof. For eg. if there is a predator and prey situation, I would move the camera from one to the other, with shallow depth of field, focussing on one and making the other blurred in a few scenes. Also there would be a couple of scenes where both are in focus to give the big picture. It depends upon your story telling style and the editing would depend upon your style. The reason for saying this is that there is no standard aperture as such to shoot the entire scene. In cameras with tiny sensors, you get lot of depth of field and it is a hindrance. In case of DSLRs, the bigger sized sensors help in giving the narrow depth of field and aids in storytelling.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Alfred Forns

Thanks for the info ... we are just getting started and looks like fun !!! Amazing results so far !!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fabs,

I shoot with a 5D Mk 11. At this time, I use 1/60 sec. @ f/ 8.0 200 ISO. My video of Alligator Farm can be seen on You Tube: http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...le&xl=AdsGroup . I used my EF 70- 200 f/ 4.0. Have been comparing Final Cut Express with iMovie 09. Both work very well. Still have so much to learn....

Tom Rowland

Hi All,

This is my first post here. I have a 7d and limited experience with video; but from what I have seen there is somewhat of a steep learning curve. I feel very comfortable saying for stills "I don't believe in fate, but I do believe in f8".

But video is a whole different story. I put my Sigma 300-800 on a honkin big tripod with a gimbal head and shot some video with the 7d, using manual mode at 5.6, then switched around to f8. Of course the Common Moor Hens and the Pie Billed Greeb were way off with that lens and when I got them in focus the IQ was very good at both f stops. As the light got dimmer (I was shooting late in the evening) I did not change any of the exposure settings, but I did have the camera on adjustable ISO.

Before that I had shot some video using my 1d2 behind a 85/1.8 in low light conditions and had to open things up as wide as possible, and ran into DOF issues because of the shorter focal length and low light.

Bottom line from what I can tell with my limited experience is there really is not a "standard" video fstop, but it depends a lot on focal length and what you are shooting. Then there is a question of artistic story telling with video and how the DOF and bringing stuff into focus can be very interesting. Stills seem so much easier when you just try to isolate the subject with a shallow DOF or use f8 or more for landscape.

Fabs Forns

Thanks, Tom. I have not had time to play with the video again yet, but will give a second chance and share my experience.

Fabs Forns

Charlie, your link takes me to some Obama and musicians videos, can;t see yours :(

Tom Rowland

Thanks, Tom. I have not had time to play with the video again yet, but will give a second chance and share my experience.
    Well here is a little update.

I got my 1d4 on Monday and shot some vids with it. I had been playing around with my 7d before that using what I use to consider stupid ISO settings like 2500 and shooting at f11 to deal with OOF issues by increasing the DOF.

I shot some vids with the 1d4 using my 500/f4 on a big tripod and still don't have my panning skills down; and I keep forgetting to use AF to frame the subject then switch the lens to MF before I switch to LV and start recording.

Nevertheless I got this video which is on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikey323.../0/_em2O-1-zkc

It is a rather short one of a Red-shouldered Hawk eating a Carolina Wren it just killed when a very brave Blue Jay sneak attacks the Hawk.

Here is a screen cap from when I played the vid in Windows Media Player

http://www.pbase.com/tommy2guns/imag...7266/large.jpg

I am still trying to figure out the best way to do a lot of things; but I am very happy with my 1d4 and the vids I can record with it.

Fabs Forns

Tom, quality seems to be good and as you say, you have to master the panning. Are you using a mongoose or Wimberley? With the Mongoose, I found that moving the lower part gave me a smoother movement.
    Very interesting video you got too!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fabs,

Hope this link is correct for my Alligator Farm video. Not sure why I had a problem. Sorry for any problems. Here's the link http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...ient=mv-google .

Fabs Forns

Attached Images Attached Images

This is what I get.

Tom Rowland

Tom, quality seems to be good and as you say, you have to master the panning. Are you using a mongoose or Wimberley? With the Mongoose, I found that moving the lower part gave me a smoother movement.
    Very interesting video you got too!
    I use a Bogen 3421 on the advice of Romy who also convinced me to get the Sigma 300-800; if you have not seen his pbase stuff it is well worth a click.

He is one of the best photographers I know of; and more importantly a very nice and helpful person.

http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone/ima...90482/original

Fabs Forns

I see, maybe using your thumb and index to move the base of the tripod may be smoother?

Romy Ocon? I'm familiar with his work, yes :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fabs,

If this link does not work, I give up. Hopefully it's my video of Alligator Farm. Used an EF 70- 200 f/4.0 L USM and my EF 100- 400 f/4.5- 5.6 L IS. Let me know how this works. Sorry for the voiceover quality. Did not have my Samson Zoom H4N at the time. Using an ancient Logitech USB plugin microphone.

Thanks for being so understanding...

You Tube Link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iJKO73RRJY

St. Augustine Orchid Society Meeting You Tube Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/wesjr50#p/a/u/2/uRf2lrj19oM
    Last edited by Charles Wesley; 02-05-2010 at 12:07 PM.

Fabs Forns

Charles, I was able to see them all now.
    The AF are both very interesting, love the music and allis on the second one :)
    I think the panning need a little works still (don't we all) and the orchids brought nice memories to me, from my cultivation days, long gone now.
    Thanks for taking all the trouble with the links!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fabs,

I appreciate the comments. I used my Wimberly for all my videos. Its not designed for video panning IMO. Would like to learn a better way.

Just unloaded a video from Alligator Farm working with the parrots. Somehow You Tube lost the audio during the upload. Will try again. Seems to me that You Tube compresses the .mov files extensively to save space on their servers. Curious if anyone knows about this. Read how Alfred prefers Final Cut Express for video editing. I like it also but can only get iMovie 09 files to upload on You Tube. Wish I knew how to get 1080p FCE files to upload....
    Last edited by Charles Wesley; 02-05-2010 at 07:27 PM.