Thread: Barred Owl

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Barred Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

I took this pic a few weeks ago and just got around to processing it as it did not catch my attention at first. However, on the 2nd look I was pleased with the perspective provided by the DOF.
    EOS 50D, 500 f/4, ISO 400, 1/200, F/5.6, no flash, no bait.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well I have never seen a Barred Owl picture from this angle. Where you up in a tree? Lovely exposure and details here. The green in the BG is nice and the branches aren't too overpowering here. The upper right one even works to frame the owl.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the concentrated stare, pose, and detail. Im glad you left the small branch on the right, as Marina stated, frames him nicely. What I would do, is remove everything LLC.

Graham Smith.

Excellent image Rick!
    Nice soft lighting and excellent head angle - I much prefer this to the more popular straight on shot.
    The angled perch is very nice also. There seems to be a little noise in certain areas (around the bird and perch).
    well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beautiful pose in nice light, Rick. The diagonal perch works well. I especially like the head angle with the bird looking at something in its environment rather than simply staring at the camera. You might consider some noise reduction on the background. Well done.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As stated I also like the pose, ha, detail and exposure. I would agree with the removal of LLC items. I might give it a little more space at the top to come closer to rule of thirds compliance.

Joe

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

A stunning owl indeed. Love the talons and the stare. It seems as you took the picture at eye level. TFS

I worked a little with this image in PS, I hope you don't mind. This is just an option, but I agree that is better to take the picture in the field and not ''make'' it in PS.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments and thank you Jaun for the PS edits. I really like it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's certainly a matter of personal preference, but I prefer the original. the branches aren't in the way of the bird, and the scene just looks more "real" to me. Lovely soft light.