Thread: I want to make a 20x30 print.

Caleb Royer

Default I want to make a 20x30 print.

I'm going to make a 20x30 print but I'm not sure if my photo is high enough quality so here are the specs:
    3240x2592
    cropped as 8x10 instead of original 4x6
    3.8MB
    324dpi
    bit depth 24

Thanks in Advance:)

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Caleb,
    In my opinion, subject, lighting and composition is more important than how many pixels you have. For a knock you socks off sharp wow prints, you usually want the megapixels plus lighting, composition, and subject. For that you need on the order of 30 * 300 * 20 * 300 (that's 300 pixels per inch) = 9,000 * 6,000 = 54 Megapixels. That's pretty far from your 3.4 so would require a lot of interpolation. I've done 16x18 inch prints from 3 megapixels (winning contests and selling the images in galleries), e.g.
    http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries...ght.f-600.html
    but don't feel the image could go to 20x30.

Roger

Flavio Rose

Quote Originally Posted by rnclark View Post
    For that you need on the order of 30 * 300 * 20 * 300 (that's 300 pixels per inch) = 9,000 * 6,000 = 54 Megapixels. That's pretty far from your 3.4.
    As I read the original post, Caleb actually has a bit over 8 megapixels which are represented by 3.4 megabytes in jpeg. Thus if you got from 3 megapixels to 16x18 inches (I can't quite imagine how, but I don't know much about large prints), Caleb should be able to get from 8+ megapixels to 20x30.

I don't quite get the role of the 8x10 crop in the OP, however. If the original image and final images both have a 3:2 aspect ratio, I'm not clear how an intermediate crop at a different aspect ratio helps.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ooops--read too fast. 8+ megapixels helps a lot.

Roger

Caleb Royer

Thanks for the help, I'm going to try a 20x30.

Roger, the photo of the egret is awesome!

Steve Philipson

Read the following link Its a bit old but the info is still valid
    http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone/20x30print

Caleb Royer

Thanks for the link Steve,

Reading that makes me feel like I know nothing about printing:confused:

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Also consider the nature of the final print. Will it be on glossy paper and viewed up close, or on canvas viewed from a distance. Will its nature be a bit soft (waves, sand, etc.) or something that begs for detail (houses, bricks, geometrical designs).

I was recently very surprised. My wife took a D80 to Africa, and wanted a lion blown up for a large frame. I did a 24x36, and was astounded how well the image held up to the enlargement on canvas. It was far larger than I had ever done one of my prints, now I am jealous. But it was also ideal even if not quite as sharp --- canvas is naturally a bit softer, it was over a bed where no one would be closer than 6-8' away to view it.