Albuquerque NM
    Canon markIIn
    Canon 600mm f/4 +1.4x

iso 250 f/5.6 1/1600 -1/3ev

Comments?

Cheers
    gary

Malcolm Benn

Lovely portrait, great detail and colour .. I'm just surprised there isn't more Dof at that focal length and f stop.

Danny J Brown

Hey Gary - This is a lovely portrait that has allowed me to see a road runner close-up like this for the first time that I can remember. I never realized their plumage was so spectacular! I just love the way this one pops against the background as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice tight portrait. Sharp where it needs to be. You could tone down the lighter areas on the upper mandible. Although we can inmagine this guy eyeing potential prey on the ground I do wish the face wasn't cocked down so much. I love the blue above the eye!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Did you crop this from the top as I suspect???
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful portrait with some pleasing detail. You can even see the "eyelashes".

gary rouleau

Artie, I just cropped a little off the left side. Its nearly full frame.

Thanks everyone.
    gary

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gary rouleau View Post
    Artie, I just cropped a little off the left side. Its nearly full frame. gary
    Ah, you fooled me. I asked because the crest is the sharpest part of the image... The closest feathers of the crest are the sharpest and the d-o-f falls off from there. I do like the raised crest but wish that the bird's head were more square to the back of the camera.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the soft BG and the unique view of the eye. While eye contact isn't quite there, we do get to see the eyelashes displayed prominently. With better eye contact, the view of the lashes would probably go away.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very good portrait. First time I see them this close. Sharpness very good where needs be.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gary, nice Roadrunner close up and love the eyelashes...I've been wanting a good Roadrunner image for quite some time and so far it's an elusive goal. Congrats!

Callie de Wet

A real nice mug shot of this guy and and lovely details on the eye! Like the OOF BG!

david cramer

Having seen, and taken, 100s of roadrunner portraits, I find this one very unique and enjoyable. I understand the comments about head angle and value their merit, but personally really enjoy the perspective you've presented. A plus to also have the crest up.