Thread: Long-billed curlew

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Long-billed curlew

Taken over the weekend at Galveston. Although it was a family trip, I managed to do some bird photography on the beach oustside the hotel. My first experience of beach bird photography.

40D. 400f5.6 at f/6.3. iso 640 1/800. Added +1 1/3 comp in camera and then some more during raw conversion. Catchlight added...let me know if it is looking too unnatural.

Is this a juvi? Adults have even longer bills, right?

All opinions welcome.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the low angle and striding pose. Good eye contact. The flat light and drab BG help accentuate what little color the bird has. Hope you had fun at the beach!
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely pose with the raised leg, and a good HA too. Looks like you had fun, and congrats on your first beach bird KD.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaustubh Deshpande View Post
    My first experience of beach bird photography. Catchlight added...let me know if it is looking too unnatural. Is this a juvi? Adults have even longer bills, right?
    Howdy Kaustubh, I love photographing at the beach. The catchlight looks a little to pin-pointed... If you use a tiny clone stamp and move it around you can come up with natural looking ones. It possibly needs to go forward and up a bit. Axel is the expert on them so I hope that he stops by.

It is very hard to age this species on plumage. The young birds have short bills but so do the females.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps; Like the framing and the raised foot.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thx Artie. I will work on the catchlight. Yes..beach photography was fun...but it would have been better if the weather had been a bit warmer. I will post some more in the next few days.

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    The catchlight looks a little to pin-pointed... If you use a tiny clone stamp and move it around you can come up with natural looking ones. It possibly needs to go forward and up a bit. Axel is the expert on them so I hope that he stops by.
    I like the walking pose, soft light and eye contact. As for the catchlight, yes, it should go higher since you made the image around 11 AM and I would make it a bit less prominent since it looks overcast. Alternatively, you could lighten the eye and see if that would look good.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thx Axel. will try those things tonight.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The pose with one leg up and low angle as mentioned is very nice. Very good image.