Thread: Purple Gallinule

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Purple Gallinule

Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not sold on my framing, and my aging eyes just can't see fine detail right now (new glasses 'script coming soon). Please be gentle - I'm super sensitive :) I'm looking for crop/composition thoughts. Thanks, Gloria.

Purple Gallinule in Spadderdock, Wakodahatchee Wetlands, Delray Beach, FL, EOS 10D, 300 f/4IS on bottom rail, polarizer. Full frame, no digital work. (This was a grab-shot, polarizer was not needed but already on lens.)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gloria, The first thing I noticed when I open your image was that the reds in the beak were clipped and to bright so I lowered the values using only the red channel with curves. As to the framing I would crop this tighter to make it more of a portrait image as is it looks more like you accidently cut off his butt.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK, thank you! I know almost nothing about Photoshop. I will go and check what 'clipped' means. Thank you so much!! And I will try a crop. Thanks :)

Fabs Forns

Hi Gloria. I think it's a beautiful picture with very interesting light.
    I cropped from right and top to place the eye in a rule of thirds position, reduced saturation on the red bill just as Don did (clipped means hot, overexp) and cloned out the bill shine.
    Ah, last touch I darkened the borders a bit to keep the attention on the great face an pose.
    Way to go, very nicely done.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Thank you!

Many thanks for both critiques and for the help with photoshop! I like the crop, much tighter and focus is more on the face. I wonder why the bill looked too red, but nothing else looked too saturated. I wonder if its the polarizer? This PS is some tricky stuff.... THANK YOU!

Fabs ... I see you around WAK all the time. I'm the tall skinny one always down on the boardwalk with my little lenses :) I will introduce myself next time :) Thanks again!

Fabs Forns

Please do!!!

The hot red is a fault of digital, not yours. It happens a lot with the yellow too. You just desaturate and you're done.

Hope to meet you soon :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice composition & lighting Gloria, does need some sharpening on the bird to bring this up another level.
    TFS