Thread: First Post Red-Bellied Woodpecker

Light Ska Iktomi

First Post Red-Bellied Woodpecker

This is my first posting here...I removed some branches from around the bird...thanks for looking!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think you are off to a good start with this first post. Good capture.

Critique - I would suggest some crop as the tree trunk in over-powering the subject (bird). Some halos are apparent from sharpening or jpg compression.

Axel Hildebrandt

Welcome to BPN, Light! Nice first post, I like the wind-blown plumage and pose. I might crop a bit off the left, wish for a lower angle and a bit more eye contact. Keep them coming and please post the techs!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome. Good suggestions above. The bird is way too high above you. If you set up a feeder you might get them down to your level....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Peter Farrell

Welcome from a recent new member. This is a great place to learn. Nice image, would like to see less tree and more sky.
    Peter

Light Ska Iktomi

thanks for the suggestions! i have no clue how to get rid of the halos......thanks again!

Light Ska Iktomi

make:NIKON
    COOLPIX P90
    10/3019 second
    F/5.0
    177 mm
    Nov 16, 2009, 3:25:23 PM

Light Ska Iktomi

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Hildebrandt View Post
    Welcome to BPN, Light! Nice first post, I like the wind-blown plumage and pose. I might crop a bit off the left, wish for a lower angle and a bit more eye contact. Keep them coming and please post the techs!
    thank you so much!

Light Ska Iktomi

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Welcome. Good suggestions above. The bird is way too high above you. If you set up a feeder you might get them down to your level....
    i set up some feeders on Christmas day and i am just waiting for the birds to find them...thank you so much

Light Ska Iktomi

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Farrell View Post
    Welcome from a recent new member. This is a great place to learn. Nice image, would like to see less tree and more sky.
    Peter
    thank you! i cropped out some of the tree...i think that helped....;)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Light Ska Iktomi View Post
    thanks for the suggestions! i have no clue how to get rid of the halos......thanks again!
    I see and improvement with the crop and to me this was good to see.

There are several way to get rid of the halos depending what software you are using. However it is often simplier to use caution when doing pp and especially in sharpening and saving the files to prevent the halos in the first place. I know from your PM to me that you are new to post processing so let us know what software you use and how you did your sharpening and saving and some pointers may be passed on to you.

Light Ska Iktomi

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Rollins View Post
    I see and improvement with the crop and to me this was good to see.

There are several way to get rid of the halos depending what software you are using. However it is often simplier to use caution when doing pp and especially in sharpening and saving the files to prevent the halos in the first place. I know from your PM to me that you are new to post processing so let us know what software you use and how you did your sharpening and saving and some pointers may be passed on to you.
    thank you! i have just about every photo program there is i think but the one i like the best is paint shop pro xi.....i am afraid i am gulity of using the auto settings at this point but i really appreciate all the help ;) thanks again!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcom aboard!

Wow you got a lot more response on your first posting than I did for mine. My first post was...well yesterday. I am new too. This is one of my favorite birds. I will post one of my RBW later when I have more courage. I think your exposure is dead on and the sky is nice also. You just need to keep the opportunities coming. I use suet to bring my RBW in where I can work on them. Sometimes it takes them a long time to learn what suet is.

Light Ska Iktomi

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Marek View Post
    Welcom aboard!

Wow you got a lot more response on your first posting than I did for mine. My first post was...well yesterday. I am new too. This is one of my favorite birds. I will post one of my RBW later when I have more courage. I think your exposure is dead on and the sky is nice also. You just need to keep the opportunities coming. I use suet to bring my RBW in where I can work on them. Sometimes it takes them a long time to learn what suet is.
    thank you so much! i was worried about posting a pic here since i am relatively new to photography but man the suggestions really helped!