Thread: Nest building Osprey at Lovers Key State Park

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Nest building Osprey at Lovers Key State Park

The Osprey made a very brief "touchdown" traveling south into the prevailing wind to gather its nesting material at a distance I believe to be near 100 meters.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    2009/12/02 10:20:08.0
    Image Size: 1240 x 826
    Focal Length: 840mm
    Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
    Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
    1/1250 sec - F/8
    Exposure Comp.: +0.3 EV
    Sensitivity:
    White Balance:
    Last edited by Bob Pelkey; 01-03-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Add shooting data

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The thumbnail is visible but not the full image?

Axel Hildebrandt

Bob, I fixed the link. Please check out this thread on how to link to pbase: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ad.php?t=53688

I like the pose and setting in this image, but there is not much fine detail, probably due to the distance.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Axel. I recall your mentioning your help to a problem that I didn't understand before. I'll try not to require your intervention again.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome and thanks a ton for your membership support.

I love the pose and the grasses on our left. You have some serious image quality issues here as the image is totally unsharp and has pretty much zero detail. Was this a huge crop?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here's the original image. Thanks for your interest. It was an extraordinary experience.

http://www.pbase.com/image/120800496
    Last edited by Bob Pelkey; 01-03-2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: host

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Bob, Thanks for trying but there is no image in Pane #6.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was compelled to try.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pelkey View Post
    I was compelled to try.
    Hi Bob, I was able to see the original image by clicking on the link (that I had missed originally). Even though it looks as if the bird was right in the middle of the frame, it does not look as if the bird is sharply focused. With that and the huge crop, the quality of the originally posted image is very poor.

Were you using autofocus? Were you using a Canon 600mm lens with a 1.4X tele-converter?

Ákos Lumnitzer

The behavior is certainly great but the issues regarding IQ have been pointed out, and validly IMHO. I flicked through your PBase images and thought there were many (at a quick glance) far more superior in IQ than the above. I was rather baffled by the exif details in this image though. got me thinking and dang me if I can figure out how I can make a canon lens of 600mm FL fit on a nikon body and get a FL of 110mm. :D

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Threads
    Thank You Posts

As much ill will has been noted about AOL, my first and still preferred browser, it has been the apparent cause of my inability to post an image here at BPN, at least by the instructions provided.

When viewing BPN with IE, the upload issue is solved with the "insert image" function working properly (it allows the insertion of a URL).

The above commentary reminds me of how daunting it is to read Birdphotographers.net with the acronyms used without understanding.

Autofocus and Canon 600mm lens with a 1.4X tele-converter were used in the shot.

Thanks for the astute observation, Ákos. The absurdity has been corrected.