Thread: Crane in Bosque Snow

david cramer

Default Crane in Bosque Snow

Not the usual crane photo from Bosque, but this has been more common this year.

D3 with 500vr + 1.4, f/8, 1/500, iso 1800, ev +0.33

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet setting and loverly image design. The snow rocks. Two problems:
    1-head turned away.
    2-the o-o-f stick that pierces the back of the bird's head. (Easy to lose that...)

The snow on the yellow grass looks super. Exactly where in the refuge?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

david cramer

Thanks for the feedback. I blurred the heck out of that tree, but you are correct and it's best to cut it down in photoshop.

Taken on the farm loop just prior to the three decks. A few cranes were up on the berm close to the road.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ditto Artie. I really love the snow on the crane's back and on the grass. THe exposure, and sharpness look good too. It is a bit tight on the right IMO.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

David, great low angle, and I like the sharp detail and colours in this. The falling snow a bonus, and well captured.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the location David. And agree, a bit more room on the right would work too.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The HA although nort perfection, doesn't bother me....this looks so lovely and painterly.

david cramer

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I failed to mention I took this from the car with a BLUBB. BLUBB is essential at Bosque, imho, as much of the best photography is right from your vehicle. And a warm vehicle is a nice place to be on a cold snowy day!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image David. I like the snow resting on the back and grasses. Good detail in the feathers too. Branch mentioned.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Detail very good and snow adds. HA mentioned but still a lovely image.

Peter Farrell

Beautiful image! Great detail on the feathers and clarity of the eye. The yellow grass with snow is a fantastic setting. (Poop on any HA comments)
    Peter

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Farrell View Post
    Beautiful image! Great detail on the feathers and clarity of the eye. The yellow grass with snow is a fantastic setting. (Poop on any HA comments) Peter
    Pete, You are free to poop on whatever you like but in my opinion, for what it is worth, the head angle here is an absolute image killer. Even in dim light, see how beautifully the light strikes the feathers on the side of the bird. By comparison, the head is in the dark....

With the bird angled towards us, the head needs to be on straight.