Thread: Pretty in Pink

anthony whitmo

Default Pretty in Pink

Was in Florida over Thanksgiving for a Three week Vacation. This was my first trip to Florida but I think I'll make my trip to Sarasota an Annual adventure.

This image was taken with

Mark III
    EF 800 IS f/5.6

Ant
    Last edited by anthony whitmo; 01-03-2010 at 10:12 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Anthony:

No image is showing. You may need to repost it. Perhaps you tried to link from another site? It is best to enter the image directly through the BPN posting system.

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt

Anthony, the link to pbase does not work. Right-click on the image in pbase, copy the image address and use the 'insert image' button here and add /original.jpg Let me know if you need help.

anthony whitmo

That's odd. The image was showing before. And I did use the "INSERT IMAGE" button and added it.

It may be something with the bp site. The image is 1110x824. Unfortunately I had already processed the photo for another site, and didn't want to go back and reprocess the photo.

Not sure if BP would drop the photo based on size or dimensions of the linked photo..........

?

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by anthony whitmo View Post
    That's odd. The image was showing before. And I did use the "INSERT IMAGE" button and added it.

It may be something with the bp site. The image is 1110x824. Unfortunately I had already processed the photo for another site, and didn't want to go back and reprocess the photo.

Not sure if BP would drop the photo based on size or dimensions of the linked photo..........

?
    As long as the image is on a different server, BPN does not reject it because of the size. The link does not look right, though. Can you post the link to the gallery where the image is?

anthony whitmo

I can see the image now.

I edited the original post and just added the link in again. I don't know how it could have dropped it.

Here is the link if the image is not showing

http://ic2.pbase.com/o2/87/782787/1/..._AC26014_3.jpg

Sorry for all of the confusion and trouble ........ I thought it was working ok

Axel Hildebrandt

I can see the image now.

I edited the original post and just added the link in again. I don't know how it could have dropped it.

Here is the link if the image is not showing

http://ic2.pbase.com/o2/87/782787/1/..._AC26014_3.jpg

Sorry for all of the confusion and trouble ........ I thought it was working ok
    This is not the standard link from pbase. Do you have the link to the gallery?

Axel Hildebrandt

This is the correct link, I edited your original post. After pasting this link just add /original.jpg

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am seeing the image and it is quite loverly. Sharpness and pose are right on and the little bit of seaweed is great' somebody once wrote, "add green whenever possible." BKGR is very sweet and without noise. Lots of noise in the pink underwing leads me to think that the original was underexposed.

Where???

And welcome. And where are you from?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

WOW! I don't remember ever seeing a better RSB photo. Love the little drop of water on its toenail. Sharpness is just great and how did you get the bird to look right at you? :) This one will stay with me a very long time.

anthony whitmo

The images were taken at Ding Darling if I remember correct.

No Sun, Cloudy with terrible light.

Mark III
    EF 800 IS
    Hand Held
    f/5.6
    1/800th second
    ISO 1600

There is quite a bit of noise left under the wing. I removed as much as I felt comfortable removing without destroying to much detail. The image was slightly under exposed in Raw by 1/2 a stop.

Thanks so much everyone.

I'm still confused as to how to post the image correctly. I'm used to Right clicking on the photo on my website and then posting the "LOCATION" Link of the photo. I guess I'll have to read the instructions again.

So sorry everyone for all the confusion. And thanks for all of your assistance. I am in Northern California

Ant
    Last edited by anthony whitmo; 01-03-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Axel Hildebrandt

Part of the problem is that it seems you linked to the thumbnail, not the image itself. When you look at the image, copy the link in the browser address bar, paste it here and add /original.jpg

Threads
    Thank You Posts

lovely image - but nobody is mentioning the massive sharpening halo around the bird? some evidence of extra BG blurring showing on belly as well. agree with Artie on the noisy underwing.

welcome here!
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Morkel Erasmus View Post
    lovely image - but nobody is mentioning the massive sharpening halo around the bird? some evidence of extra BG blurring showing on belly as well. agree with Artie on the noisy underwing. welcome here!
    Mork-man, I am not seeing any sharpening halo (massive or otherwise) even when I tilt the screen. How much did you have to drink on New Year's Eve man? :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Mork-man, I am not seeing any sharpening halo (massive or otherwise) even when I tilt the screen. How much did you have to drink on New Year's Eve man? :)
    Same here. I looked and looked but see no halo. But I did finally see the under-wing noise. Gotta get some stronger glasses ..... It's still very beautiful :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    hey boss-man! :) didn't have more than one glass of quality South African "Rouge"... ;)

if it's not sharpening halos then I don't know, but I see artifacts all around the edges of the top ridge of the bird, the wing tips, the head, the feet and the nesting material. and my monitor isn't in too bad a shape :confused:
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I see the halo too. It shows up on my monitor as dark areas above the neck and wings. Looks more like PP work spilling out onto the BG than a sharpening halo. I think it might be from extensive shadows/highlight work. That would account for the noise in the underwings too.

I agree with the positives above. The bit of seaweed really adds to the image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

At 300% I can see the artifacting. I would not at all call it ghosting. It looks to me as if background noise was reduced on a mask and then was erased around the margins of the bird thus revealing the original noise...

Anthony: does that sound familiar? Using Refine Edge after selecting the BKGR with the Magic Wand Tool is likely the way to go to prevent this....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the eye contact and colors in this beauty! Well done.

anthony whitmo

Morkel - I don't believe there to be any Haloing in this photo. Any appearance to that effect may be due to variations of color / brightness of the BG only. I did not blur the BG either. The Below statement may explain what you are seeing. But when viewed at 100% You really have to look hard to see it. I may be wrong though > My wife says it wouldn't be the first time.

Arthur is correct. I did a round of noise removal on a new layer. Then added a mask layer and removed the heavy round of noise removal at varying brush opacity on different areas of the bird until I had a look that I thought was pleasing. I guess I got a little carried away the brush in some areas of the BG.

ant
    Last edited by anthony whitmo; 01-04-2010 at 04:05 AM.