Thread: Blue on Blue

Don Anderson

Default Blue on Blue

Attached Images Attached Images

Love blue jays. The blue behind is snow in the shade.

canon 50D, 400DO, F7.1, 1/1000, Iso 400, Bbeamer -1 1/3

Kris Mortensen

Great detail in the wings, great blues...they really pop. The top of the head is slightly soft on my monitor, but I like this shot alot.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The feathers of the wings and tail look great, the head a bit less than great :) I am OK with the blue snow but the perch leaves something to be desired on several counts: it is too big for the bird, the texture is quite rough, the little broken branch at the bottom center is distracting, and the shape does not work well from this angle.

Was this at a feeder set-up?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant Joe Senzatimore's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the soft shades of blue in the BG. This is one fine image. I too would have liked a smaller perch.

ChasMcRae

Would have preferred different HA but love saturation of the blue feathers with white feathers not tinged. Snow in shade color OK to me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great color and interesting, although not my favorite, bird angle. Nice catch in the eye. I would guess that the bird is scoping a feeder below. For me the composition is a bit "left leaning" and not quite in balance.

Don Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    The feathers of the wings and tail look great, the head a bit less than great :) I am OK with the blue snow but the perch leaves something to be desired on several counts: it is too big for the bird, the texture is quite rough, the little broken branch at the bottom center is distracting, and the shape does not work well from this angle.

Was this at a feeder set-up?
    In a matter of speaking yes. Its at a park outside of Lacrosse, WI. Over the last few years a lot
    of folks have started feeding the birds. But no real perches have been setup for photography,
    most folks go here to hand feed the chickadees out of there car windows. The birds
    are pretty tolerant of folks, but it is a public park, so I'm hesitant to get too carried away with
    staging a bunch of cool perches. I agree the perch is way too large, and the angle a little weird,
    thanks for the CC. Thats how we figure out how to do it better next time.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you create a set-up and take it down when you are through it would seem that you would be fine. As Alan describes in his CD book, a set-up can be very simple. Or, you could simply ask for permission. If you offer to donate a few images, you might be permitted to set up some more permanent perches.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.