Thread: American Goldfinch

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default American Goldfinch

Attached Images Attached Images

I had never had these guys in my backyard until about a week ago. Now I have a dozen of them :) I managed my first decent shot of them yesterday.

50D, 100-400 at 400mm
    1/400, f/7.1, ISO 400
    Blind, Water drip

Axel Hildebrandt

Looks very good, I like the composition, perch, eye contact and BG and might increase contrast a few points.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

If this is a set-up, please let us know that when you post. :) Love the perch, he nice pose, and the d-o-f. The bird's head and face could use a bit more sharpening.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loved the perch and background a lot. This might look good vertical or square as well. The berries in URC keep grabbing my attention away from the bird a bit. But I love the comp as-is too. Very well done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, yes this is a set-up. I put that it was at a water drip below the EXIF, but I guess I could have made it more obvious.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's fine Aidan. My speed skimming failed me... :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

No problem Artie. I have a couple of questions on the portfolio reviews that I am going to shoot you an email about tonight.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Okie dokie. I will be early to bed and flying tonight so I may not answer for a day or two.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice eye appealing image. Keep them around til the spring when the breeding plummage is in play and work them then as well.