Thread: Common Merganser

Kurt Bowman

Default Common Merganser

Attached Images Attached Images

I wish the sun was shining, since I prefer natural light over a flash (plus I am still learning how to use a flash effectively). I thought it was a little unique to capture this species out of water.

7D
    300mm f/4 w/1.4 tc
    480 EX w/better beamer
    Manual Mode 1/200 at f/5.6
    Auto ISO 125

Axel Hildebrandt

Good-looking specimen, good eye contact, I like the raised tail and it does not look overflashed. Do you remember the flash setting you used? I might sharpen the bird a tad more.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Way cool with the snow and love those huge feet! Where was this? I have never know these birds to be very accepting... Flash looks fine and yes to a bit sharper.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice capture on land with snow in the BG which makes the bird standout. From my experience, you were really fortunate to get this close to a Merganser, specially on land.
    I agree with the previous posters' comments and add that adjusting the shadows and highlights will bring out the detail in the head and feet. I been bold enough to take make some adjustments to your image, hope you don't mind. Besides the shadows/highlights I used the dodge tool to bring out the detail in the head and selective sharpening on the bird.

Joe

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Overall good work Joe and thanks. The REDs are a bit overdone for me.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Kurt Bowman

Thanks Artie and Joe. Artie, this was taken on an old farmer's canal that flows into the Poudre River in Northern Colorado. I was using my car as a blind and and drive right along a stretch of about 1/2 mile. It was amazing that in this small stretch, I saw the following species of ducks.
    Mallards
    Wood Ducks
    Northern Pintail
    Hooded Merganser
    Common Merganser
    Cinnamon Teal
    Green Winged Teal
    In addition it is the same locatioon I took my last post with the Great Blue Heron and a couple of Belted King Fisher also hang out there. That is a large number opf bird speices in a small spot in Colorado. Probably not too impressive for Florida though :D

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Kurt, That would be a pretty good duck list for FLA!

Peter Farrell

Great capture, I have never seen a Merganser out of water on the ground. Great pose and BG. The re-post brought out the eye.