Thread: Backlit razorbill

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Backlit razorbill

Attached Images Attached Images

2009 was a good photography year for me but my trip to Ireland, photographing seabird colonies, was the best!

Apart from getting decent shots of all the species there I got the chance of doing some different things. I think I had the most fun trying for backlit flightshots of these speeding bullets, this is one of my favourites!

I hope I will be able to go back there soon!

I added some canvas on the right, enhanced the eye and catchlight a abit and lightened the part of the beak in the shadows a bit. Otherwise I just did some levels, curves, saturation tweaks. I could have cloned out the rocks in the BG, but I liked the sense of rocky cliffs there.

Hope everyone here at BPN will have a great 2010, this is such an excellent place to be a part of!!!!

See you guys in 2010

Canon EOS 50D 1/1250 f5.6
    ISO 400
    Canon 300mm F2.8 L USM
    Handheld

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really liked what you did here with the backlit flight pose. Good call on lightening the eye! Although I like that you kept the BG rocks I do think you could darken some of the lighter areas - especially near the head and wingtip. Very well done!

Have yourself a great (and productive) 2010!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Daniel,

I tried your suggestion and this is the result. I toned down the areas you were pointing out and used the clone tool in color mode to give them the colors of the surrounding rocks. Hope this is better,

Cheers,

Krijn

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Strange. The BKGR actually looks a bit lighter in the repost. Both, however, are spectacular. Love the backlight and the rim light looks great as well. You gotta love black on black.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Krijn, excellent work! I like the pose of the bird in the frame and you did great with the catchlight. Good suggestion from Daniel. The difference is subtle, but I feel that more attention is drawn to the bird in the repost.
    Have a great new year!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This one is just superb Krijn, perhaps just a bit more room at the bottom but I love it

Best for you and your family in 2010 :)