Thread: Animated Hunter...

David Roach

Default Animated Hunter...

Attached Images Attached Images

Little Estero Lagoon this morning. This beauty was fishing in the usual animated way. There were no spoonbills or reddish egrets around so this beauty stole the show.
    1DMKIIN 400DO 2xtc ISO 800 F14@1/1250
    Last edited by David Roach; 02-19-2008 at 07:55 PM.

Axel Hildebrandt

Great pose, details and exposure control. I would apply some NR on the BG, it looks quite noisy.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    Little Estero Lagoon this morning. This beauty was fishing in the usual animated way. There were no spoonbills or reddish egrets around so this beauty stole the show.
    Actually, this is somewhat atypical for SNEG. The bird must have been imitating a reddish... It would be easy to make an all green upper BKGR with some QMing.

Axel, not sure if you have done it before but could you describe exactly your technique for reducing BKGR noise? I for one would greatly appreciate it.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post

Axel, not sure if you have done it before but could you describe exactly your technique for reducing BKGR noise? I for one would greatly appreciate it.

later and love, artie
    My standard NR procedure for the background is using the Reduce Noise Tool in CS3 and these settings:

Strength: 5-10 depending on the amount of noise
    Preserve Details: 45%
    Reduce Color Noise: 45%
    Sharpen Details: 0%
    and Remove JPEG Artifact is checked

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Axel. And how do you make your selection (of the BKGR)?

and later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thanks Axel. And how do you make your selection (of the BKGR)?

and later and love, artie
    It's a pretty crude procedure, either magic wand tool, inverse and expand a few pixels or lasso tool if the BG is not uniform enough. I'm sure there are more elegant solutions and maybe that would be a good topic for the learning resource section.

David Roach

Thanks for getting the details, Artie!!!! With eagle eye Axel I am going to have to pay much more attention to BG noise. This snowy was definitely fishing and did look like an impressionist of the the reddish tecnique. I think he was chasing a school of something as he was quite animated!!!!