Thread: Snow bird cometh.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snow bird cometh.

Attached Images Attached Images

Here in Illinois we got are first measurable snow over the weekend and we have had our first visit from the Dark-eyed Juncos, which will be here for the rest of the winter. I find these birds very difficult to photograph as they have a very dark eye and a very bright breast, easy to blow out. Anyway after a great deal of effort I submit the above image and would like to know your thoughts. Shooting data below:
    Nikon D300
    2009:12:27 12:18:39
    600mm
    900mm (in 35mm film)
    Subject dist: 7.1m
    1/800 sec, f/5
    Mode: Av
    Metering: Spot
    Exp comp: +1/3
    ISO: 400
    White balance: Fine weather
    Flash: Off
    File size: 15.9MB
    Image size: 1897 x 1466
    Color space: sRGB
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpness: Normal
    Contrast: Normal
    Color profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful bird. It may look better with a bit more space to the left where the bird is looking if you have that in your original image. You may see if you like this repost - I changed the color balance slightly, lighted the face, and added some eye makeup.

PS noticed the Nikon white balance as Fine Weather....not true at home here in Alabama:)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think this is a fine image. It nicely captures that snowy environment where the birds often just fluff up to preserve body temperature and outlast a snowfall. I like Richard's re-post - it brought out some highlights, lightened up the scene and brought more focus to the eye. I agree that the composition could be shifted to provide more space on the left.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Richard--Thank you for your comments and the repost, I especially like your improvement to the eye. How did you do that? Thanks again.
    Mac

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mac,
    On the repost, after color-correcting, I lightened the entire image on a duplicate layer, covered the layer with a black mask, and painted around the face with a 5% white brush until it looked lighter. I then I then flattened the image and on another duplicate layer painted the eye with a black brush then painted the iris with a low % white brush and added the catchlight with several brushes of a white brush. I,m sure there are better ways to do this but hope this is helpful.

Best,

Dick Curtin