Thread: Pied Heron

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Default Pied Heron

Attached Images Attached Images

Captured on Canon 30D, 300mm F4 IS + 1.4X con (420mm) 1/1000 sec, F/5.6, ISO-640, - 0.3 step.

http://birdphotographers.net/forums/...1&d=1203368634

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good exposure but needs lots of sharpening on the face. Big time noise. With a shutter speed of 1/1000 sec. you could have easily cut the ISO in half. You made somewhat of a mess of the lrhc...

later and love, artie

ps: Way-cool bird!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Thanks Artie, I will revisit the RAW image.:)

Axel Hildebrandt

Interesting looking bird. I hope you will get a chance to get an image with clean BG sometime. It would have been nice if the head would have faced more towards you. Artie covered the other issues.

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Yes Axel I prefer this image but the background is VERY busy and as Artie pointed out I could have dropped the ISO to 100-200, I hope to grab these two Herons this coming weekend using my 135 F2 with low ISO and at F2 hopefully good Bokeh for the BG.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Chris - I've been after the Pied Heron for some time - where did you get onto this one?
    I think the experts have covered all the issues here!!!!

Christopher C.M. Cooke

John I caught up with this little chap and his mate at the Healsville Sanctuary which is a natural bushland sanctuary where most of the bird life comes and goes as they please.

This chap caught me unawares as I had the camera setup for an entirely different situation and could have got away with ISO 100 and a shutter speed of 1/250 sec but they were only visible for a short while and panic took over from common sense, it won't happen this coming weekend.

If you are ever down this way I will take you up there as I know most of the rangers well.

I have not been there for a while because my injuries make walking distances a problem but I threw caution to the wind and walked with my wife for three hours through the bush ( and did not sleep for two nights owing to the pain)

My Doctor has given me some big painkillers as as he said I am not doing any more damage to the joint and if I can cope with the pain I can go ahead and walk as much as I can take, so I will.