Thread: Trip Reports

Hybrid View

Ken Watkins

Default Trip Reports

I am wondering if anybody thinks that it is a good idea to share details of places visited and what photographic opportunities may arise there.

Just brief notes on viewing accomodation etc.

As a largely self driver (occasional Mobiles) visiting National Parks this would be of great use to me and hopefully others.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If trip reports were posted here I'd be eagerly watching for them. But as one who desperately wants to visit Africa and those great parks but who has never been there it would be mostly consumption and not much contribution. One day though....

Fabs Forns

We had our first trip report in the Asia Forum, check it out!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like Ken's idea very much. Perhaps not so much a trip report in the traditional sense but more of a report on the time of year, locations, viewing strengths when there (birds and mammals and landscapes), hides if available etc. Especially some of the extraordinary sights such as migrations, nesting sites amongst others. Even little extras like optimal viewing times. For instance, in Kenya on the equator, sunrise doesn't change much, but go south and it becomes very variable with the season and some Game parks and lodges have very set times to take patrons out. If you want the very first red light it isn't much good having your breakfast first and then heading off if that is what the lodge operator tells you to do.

Good idea Ken.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Its a great idea Ken. Particularly from the conservation point of view. National Parks and private sector game reserves need tourist dollars to survive. So trip write ups that recommend good places to go for wildlife photography are really needed in this age of people limiting their 'carbon footprints'. By highlighting the best places to visit we can all help to conserve the wildlife we all love.

Ken Watkins

I have been told there will be a trip report section when the site is upgraded this year.
    In the meantime I would just like to put in recommendations for Mokola NP and Mountain Zebra NP. We went in mid December, no predators (although there are Cheetahs in Mountain Zebra with cubs they are rarely sighted) and not much in the way of birds but some very interesting plains game. Obviously photography is not easy because of the limited road networks, but I liked them a lot! I get greater enjiyment from having to work for it rather than being handed it on a plate. Should anyone like a copy of my trip report please send a PM with your email.