Thread: Grey-tailed Tattler

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grey-tailed Tattler

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken in early light at Pelican Point in March.

Nikon D300, Nikkor 500mm VR +1.7TC.,
    f/6.7, 1/800, ISO 400

Ofer Levy

Lovely image mate! Great low angle, light and colours! The water drop is a great bonus.

Axel Hildebrandt

Cool pose, good angle, eye contact, reflection and the droplets add to it. I might lighten the back of the bird a bit.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the SH, the raised foot, and the water drops. Not to mention the bird; can anyone confirm that this is a first winter bird?

The only negative is the dark line going through the head.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Rob Drummond

Nice one Gerard - really like the low angle, golden light and raised foot. Water droplets a bonus

cheers
    Rob

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gerard-
    It all came together for you well in front of that bg that had just a bit to be desired.

I like it.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful picture Gerard -

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image with nice HA, raise foot and water drop
    TFS

Phil Battley

Artie asked about the age of this bird. As it's showing fairly extensive breeding plumage and the shot is taken in March I'd see no reason to suspect it's anything other than an adult. It'd have no chevrons in basic plumage. I don't know if you can tell first-summer birds from older ones.

Cheers, Phil

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Phil. I missed the March date and did not know that the juvies have plainer breasts.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nevil Lazarus View Post
    Beautiful picture Gerard -
    Nevil, Please see the "Great Shot" Reminder sticky at the top of the Avian page here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ad.php?t=25608. Thank you sir.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot Gerard! Love the raised foot, the water drops, the colours and the reflection. I agree with the darker band in the BG being a bit distracting, you could try to selectively lighten it a bit or use the clone stamp in the color mode to get rid of it. Well done man!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is just wonderful Gerard. Love the low angle, light and great pose.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    can anyone confirm that this is a first winter bird?

The only negative is the dark line going through the head.
    Hi Art

While I'm aware of Phil's response to this question, the white spotting to the wing coverts points to an immature bird IMO. This particular ID feature is one good way of separating juvenile tattlers too. In addition, given the presence of 'breeding plumage chevrons', I would therefore age it as a 1st summer individual rather than an adult.

Cheers: Wayne

Phil Battley

Hey Wayne,

I was working without any reference material, and it's highly likely you are right. Note that those coverts will not be the same ones as juveniles have - they will have been replaced over the northern winter. I've run into similar feathers in Red Knots, that look like juvenile feathers but are actually newer feathers in 2-year old birds.

I'm happy to go with Wayne's assessment on this bird!

Phil

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Phil

You will be aleady in the New Year, but all the best anyway! :D

I did a little more research &, from the 2 most recent shorebird guides, it is noted:

• moult from juvenile state is 'protracted';
    • the initial moult that does take place, i.e. Sep to Dec, usually confined head & body although may include some wing coverts & tail feathers;
    • outer primaries are replaced Jan to Aug;
    • some that remain on wintering grounds attain only partial breeding plumage (as your bird) but others may simply moult to full non-breeding.
    Hope you find this info useful that appears to broadly apply to both tattlers.

Cheers: Wayne

PS: Nice image of a bird I yet to see, but I have images of Wandering Tattler from a trip to California.