Thread: Another Purple Sandpiper

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Another Purple Sandpiper

Attached Images Attached Images

D90; 80-400 VR @ 370mm. ISO 400. f/7.1 @ 1/320s; Matrix metering @ -0.7. Hand-held. Cropped 45%.

Might as well add mine to the bunch, although it's a bit embarrassing since it lacks the critical sharpness and IQ of those from Artie and Denise. This was taken last Monday afternoon, in hazy sun (conditions halfway between Artie's sun and shade shots, and certainly not the lovely morning light from Denise). I think the focus point was on the bird's rump - not what I intended. But I liked the way the sweep of the shell-pile perch framed the bird. C&C appreciated.

stephen farmer

Nice shot,it looks like the focus point is on the body though rendering the head OOF.

Steve.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Bill, I like the mussels and the way they are bunched up. I would have been drawn to this image also. I like the pose and the water drop. Wish it were a bit sharper. I would have tried to get a faster SS for HH.

Axel Hildebrandt

I like the setting and look-back pose. I'm not sure it is a DOF issue, there seems to be some motion blur, higher ISO and shutter speed might have helped with it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Hildebrandt View Post
    I like the setting and look-back pose. I'm not sure it is a DOF issue, there seems to be some motion blur, higher ISO and shutter speed might have helped with it.
    Thanks Denise and Axel. I did manage some sharp hand-held shots that afternoon, but I guess for this one the light level was a bit lower and I didn't notice that the SS had dropped below the inverse focal length. I should have boosted the ISO. Thanks for looking.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I also see the OOF parts Bill, but I wanted to chime in about the great composition and visual interest. A very nice shot.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill .... I like the image...classic sandpiper pose, head angle, arch created by mussels....I also agree that it could be lens shake not DOF....Personal preference for me is 1.5 times the focal length for shutter speed when handheld...TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Dan and Paul for the kind and helpful comments. I'll get the SS right next time.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really a pleasing composition Bill with the way the muscles flow its very interesting the only nit I have is the lack of sharpness as mentioned.