Blog Entries

Default Purple Sandpiper

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 40D
    500mm +1.4 ex
    1/800 sec. at f/8
    ISO 400
    Tripod

Taken at Barnegat on Friday morning while shooting with Artie, Axel and Michael:).
    I have a lot of other shots that show the feet-but I liked this one that looked like it was swimming. I had to add a little canvas to the top.
    PS-Shooting with Art Morris...priceless

Threads
    Thank You Posts

:) Hey, you guys killed me with this one. I got a less than ideal frame or two by the time I joined the party (and scared the bird away!) Glad that you guys did so well before I got there. Do post your best one showing the feet below.

I love this one; you guys did a great job of getting in perfect position right down sun angle. Love the head angle, the swimming look, and the rock on the right that balances the composition. BTW all, this is the same bird featured in my post immediately below.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Laura James

I like with the legs covered, the turbulance in the water in the foreground is wonderful. Was the end of the beak in different light, seems darker at the end, not a problem, just observation.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is one showing the feet

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Denise - Both are gorgeous shots. Hard to choose (but why choose). Both have lovely light. The first has exquisite detail, and beautiful swirling water, so I see why you posted it. The orange legs are a signature element of this guy, and the second has a wonderfully framed composition. So double congratulations are due!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Denise. Love the 2nd one too. As I said, you guys killed me on this one. And yes, the light is much nicer than in my "sunny" version below. Just for the record books, what time on your two?

Laura, the distal end of the bill of this species grades darker.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Artie, Thanks for the kind words. The data says 9:27 am. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

YAW Denise. And thanks for the time. That was only 20 minutes before my "sunny" image below. Shows what being very close to sun angle and a pleasing background can do to the "quality of light" which is supposed to be independent of factors like those two (but is not!)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Denise, I also prefer the second image (although the first is also pleasing). I like the composition and how the rocks frame the bird. Good eye contact and details. Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Axel Hildebrandt

Cool image, I have one that looks almost identical, just a slightly lower angle. I might post it later just for fun.

Did you make it lighter in post-processing? I had 0 EC, too, but it looks a bit darker, I didn't change the exposure in post-processing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Axel, I did a few color and lighting tweaks, but just a little. I could have left it but felt it gave it just a bit of pop. I didn't want to post mine w/ the feet since you had already posted a similar-but I liked the "swimming pose" and decided it was a bit different from yours. You had a better angle and my crop factor got me a bit tighter than you. I couldn't get the ext. off w/ my frozen hands so I didn't even try. I hope you post yours. It's fun to see what I could have done better or differently.:) Did I hear you say something about a road trip?:p

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by denise ippolito View Post
    Axel, I did a few color and lighting tweaks, but just a little. I could have left it but felt it gave it just a bit of pop. I didn't want to post mine w/ the feet since you had already posted a similar-but I liked the "swimming pose" and decided it was a bit different from yours. You had a better angle and my crop factor got me a bit tighter than you. I couldn't get the ext. off w/ my frozen hands so I didn't even try. I hope you post yours. It's fun to see what I could have done better or differently.:) Did I hear you say something about a road trip?:p
    I'm not sure about the better part, I probably just did a little bit less tweaking. The iris in yours looks a bit light for my taste, though. :)

Road trip? Which one? I just visited a local field and hoped to find some snow buntings, they were neither cooperative nor numerous, the larks were there in good numbers.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Axel, A road trip to Mass.:)

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by denise ippolito View Post
    Axel, A road trip to Mass.:)
    Oh, that one. :) I might visit friends and go to Cape Ann or Cape Cod.

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

beautiful warm light,details,angle

Ofer Levy

The second image is fantastic! Maybe toning down the white feathers on the belly.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Both images show just how hardy these little shorebirds are...last to come down from the north..both images are lovely, second one showing feet is perfect, light, exposure and sharpness...hope to get down there soon...TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very beautiful Denise, love both of them. Congrats
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Both captures are lovely. On the first, I think I'd prefer seeing a bit off the bottom. The second post is my favorite. The bird just pops off my screen. Only wish for a bit more canvas all around. but I"m thinking you didn't have the option.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I really do appreciate you all taking the time to comment.
    Marina, Thanks for your comments, much appreciated. Since the bird was actually standing and not swimming in the first image -I left room for his feet. At least those were my thoughts:)
    The second image- you are right, that was full frame as shot. But I could add canvas ...but would prefer not to.:);)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Both images are great Denise that bird sure is fluffed up keeping warm really nicely captured as always....

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Both images are too good Denise , first one is my choice
    TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning image madam, loved it...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Denise,
    Lovely little birds these are! Nice colours, setting, HA, LA ( light angle) and relaxed posture. Both are great shots in my book, but if you go for the first post I would crop a little of the top. Congrats

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Thankyou all for your comments and taking the time to look. Krijn, I think you are right about a sliver off the top. Thanks

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Denise....both are awesome in their own way. But if someone were to hold a gun to my head, I'll pick the second one :-)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Thankyou Kaustubh, I appreciate it.